New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Issues with all web browsers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

Hey all, i was curious if anyone is having an issue with any of your web browsing within any program. I seem to be having issues with Firefox, Camino, and Opera. It takes forever to launch any of them, then when i click on a link it says it's loading, then the spinning when comes up, and it freezes up. I haven't been able to use the internet at all ever since this happened. It has been going on today after i install this 10K font pack i just bought. Ever since that, my memory bar in istat menu is showing i'm using 1/3 of my memory just sitting there. Right now, i'm on my Windows machine typing this. I just finished an Onyx fixup as well as a Drive Warrior rebuild, still nothing. Another thing i have been noticing is that when i empty my trash, even if i have 1 thing in there, it says, when i empty it, that there are 1000s of items in there. Could I have the first Mac virus or something? This has never happened to me before, please advise.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What does your Activity Monitor.app show? Open it up and sort it by usage and then look to see what's using the CPU. You could have a failing hard drive that's causing the slow downs but let's see what the Activity Monitor says.
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

Have you emptied all the browser caches with OnyX or another program? Have you reinstalled your browsers? (Don't forget to export your bookmarks and note which add-ons you use before doing that)

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever.
-Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Father of Modern Rocketry
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Guys, read the OP's message!

Quote:
It has been going on today after i install this 10K font pack i just bought
Yes, having 10,000 fonts open and residing in memory couldn't POSSIBLY cause any issues ... (facepalm)

Quote:
Another thing i have been noticing is that when i empty my trash, even if i have 1 thing in there, it says, when i empty it, that there are 1000s of items in there
Oops, gotta go, I think the cluephone is ringing!!
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

Well I went in to check wtih Activity monitor, and nothing is taking up more CPU or memory than normal, it just shows what's freezing up in red. I have been noticing a pattern here though, it seems to be happening with any program which uses the internet. I got a few emails this morning, and one of them had an link to click on, so I followed it, and firefox wouldn't load, and outlook froze, same with thunderbird as well. I was on a Skype conference call last night too, and Skype froze and lost the connection every 15-20 minutes. I did try one thing though, I have a Windows Bootcmap partition and went through VMware fusion to see if Opera would work through that. It worked without a hitch, but interestingly enough, Fusionw as freezing, at leat the spinning wheel was showing, but the Windows environment was stable.

@chas_m: Well Sherlock, from the clues you have been able to dig up, what are my courses of action to fix this?

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

It's worth uninstalling the font pack I guess....... just to see if the problem goes away.....

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Yea I'm trying to find out how to, but when i go into the Font app, it doesn't do anything when i try to remove them and freezes up.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

This is a shot in the dark, but all those items in the trash has me wondering. From Finder try a Secure Empty of the trash. See if at least that 1000s of items in the trash are gone.

I don't see how a font pack would break internet connectivity though.
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

I actually have the trash set to do secure empty all the time. I think those 1000s of items have happened 3x, and that was it, but it stepped down to 100s. I don't know why a font pack would break connectivity either, thoughI'm wondering if OSX is trying to spread out the fonts to all the programs, and in doing so, they crash because they can't handle it? I really have no clue.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

Download an advanced font manager. Use the free trial period. Use it to delete the font pack, or buy it so you can use all those fonts. The built in font manager just isn't capable of handling those many fonts. Because many apps load those fonts, it is probably the cause of your problems.

The only virus for mac is macdefender, and you don't have it.

Force empty the trash Some iles like apps consist of several files. Maybe that is why it says thousands of things are deleted.

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever.
-Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Father of Modern Rocketry
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgeist View Post
The only virus for mac is macdefender, and you don't have it.
Bzzt! WRONG! Thanks for playing.

MacDefender is not a virus, it's scamware/scareware. Not the same thing in any way, shape or form.

As for the OP: start by uninstalling the 10,000 fonts, since according to you that is when the problem started.
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Well crisis averted. I was able to successfully get rid of those fonts by going into home/library/fonts. Now everything is back to normal.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« huge issue with OS X 10.4, not allowing me to open or copy. | moving apps around? »