New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

New HDD install and bootcamp?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tomot

tomot is on a distinguished road

I was concerned that my imac HDD was going to pack it in, hence I looked at how to replace HDD videos on you tube. Following that procedure took an 1hr to install a new 500gb seagate HDD.
(why didnt Apple create an access cover for easy HDD removal, must be because their btm line is hurting

Since this new HDD is not seen by OSX snow leopard, and I plan to do a totally NEW boot camp with Windows 7 should I now create 1 partition for the entire HDD, using the Disk Utility and then wait for bootcamp to do the further Window 7 partitioning process?

TIA!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Boot the machine with your install DVD and partition- format the new hard drive. Use one partition only and format it using HFS Extended Journaled and GUID scheme. (default)

After that's done, you can install OS X or restore everything from your Time Machine backup (if you have one). Once everything is up and running to your satisfaction, go ahead and use the Boot Camp assistant to create a partition for Windows and proceed with the Windows installation.

And yes, an iMac is not built for easy upgrades (except memory).
QUOTE Thanks
tomot

Thanks for the info. I finally cut that access that should have been there in the first place

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/unled1rq.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

That's a pretty neat access panel you made. I hope though that your machine is still not under warranty because if it is, it's not any more.
QUOTE Thanks
tomot

I wonder if the warranty says anything about not cutting access holes? LOL!

I had fixed the cover with Velcro tape, but decided to keep it open. The access hole
actually help with dissipating heat. The heat from the HDD is able to escape more easily
and I don't really need the heat sensor on the HDD.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And allow Bootcamp to do its own partitioning. Best idea is to open Bootcamp Assistant in Utilities and print the manual there.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
tomot

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
And allow Bootcamp to do its own partitioning. Best idea is to open Bootcamp Assistant in Utilities and print the manual there.
thanks for your added comments. I'm not a fan of RTMF, although all went well with the install, except sound so as a reminder to those using boot camp, don't forget the following:

If you install Window 7 on Boot Camp or parallels and your are not getting any sound, just goto :
- Realtek
- click on download tab
- click on high definition audio codecs(software)
- accept the agreement,give it 5 second to reload and click next.
- click on "GO"of Vista driver32/64 bits driver only Executable file, and start downloading install it.

Voila sound appears on reboot, cheers!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connection to Server Noob | Can't play wmv.lnk files...can't be supported by Mac OS? »