New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Terminal Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jpr25

jpr25 is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I have installed some software and no matter what directory I am in i can run the software by typing the name.

What I want to know is I have some other software where I wish to do the same so no matter where I am I can just type the name and it will run.

Is this possible ? Do I have to put it in certain file ? or is it just case adding the path to my env ?

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Hamed

Hamed is on a distinguished road

From what i know if you want to open an application through terminal, you need to write the full directory path,

eg: open /Applications/Facetime.app
QUOTE Thanks
orbit79

orbit79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr25 View Post
Hi All,

I have installed some software and no matter what directory I am in i can run the software by typing the name.

What I want to know is I have some other software where I wish to do the same so no matter where I am I can just type the name and it will run.

Is this possible ? Do I have to put it in certain file ? or is it just case adding the path to my env ?

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks
Open up /Users/YourUserName/.profile in something like textwrangler, which can handle hidden files. Then add something like:

Code:
export PATH="path/to/application":$PATH
I think that should work, let me know how you go.
QUOTE Thanks
jpr25

Thanks I will try that

I have another question on terminal you get computername: username and when you change directory you get

computername: ect username is there anyway to get rid of the computername and directory ?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

How to Customize your Terminal Prompt

Although, I have to admit. I love having the directory. On machines I work on that don't have it I find myself issuing pwd a lot more

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
jpr25

Cool thanks I will try that see how I get on Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
jpr25

ok I have another question might well keep in same thread.

I added path so I can type ./script anywhere is there way to get it to auto complete using tab ?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It should autocomplete the name if it is recognized. If it's in your path, you shouldn't need to type the './' and since you seem to need to still do it, I have to think that the app is not in your path. If you execute the following, do you see the directory that the app is in listed?
Code:
echo $PATH

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook either will not sleep, or wakes up. | Network Drive Shortcut on Desktop »