New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Windows automatically closing when switching applications

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Halo09

Halo09 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,

I really hope someone will be able to lend me a hand. Whenever I switch between programs, the one being opened automatically closes whichever window I was viewing.

In other words, as I browse the web on Safari, and choose to open up a Finder window, the Safari window is automatically closed. This occurs between every single program.

At no time am I able to have 2 windows open at the same time. I'm somewhat new to Macs, but I do have a degree in Computer Science and still can't figure this out. To answer some obvious questions, this has nothing to do with Spaces or ANY setting within.

I believe it has something to do with me using Google Chrome Full screen. However now, even out of full screen, regardless of what programs are open (including Chrome), the problem remains. Please help as I am desperate. Much appreciation.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

What is your OS version? Assuming it's some version of OSX, please clarify the meaning of windows closing. Is it that it's "docked"?
QUOTE Thanks
Halo09

Double Post
QUOTE Thanks
Halo09

Mac OS X 10.6.7

Here is a video of the exact problem. Thank you sooo much for all assitance.

YouTube - ‪SAMSUNG SGH-i917_000519.mp4‬‏
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I can't tell from your video as it's too small and things are happening too fast, but it may have something to do with your Dock preferences.

Click on the Apple in the upper left of your screen and choose "Dock", then choose Dock preferences. Take a look at how applications are being minimized to the Dock.

And, do you have any desktop enhancement utilities loaded? Anything that changes the desktop behavior, icons, Dock, etc?
QUOTE Thanks
Halo09

Thanks for the response!

In the video, I was just illustrating how switching between any two windows automatically minimizes the current window. I'm sure it looks confusing and fast I apologize for that. Pretty much just clicking between any two applications.

I've gone over the doc settings, and there isn't anything there unfortunately.

As for the desktop enhancements: Unfortunately this is also where I've started thinking the problem originated. I got a little over zealous when I first got the Mac and dove in a little too fast.

I have Onyx, though it isn't a setting that I've found in there.

I had a theme changer (Theme Park I believe), that I've since uninstalled. I am near certain this is where the problem originated. Besides a system restore, is there a way to default back to the original preferences in their entirety? I.e all settings even those that aren't listed in a user preference pane?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

There's a possibility the theme changer altered the way the desktop behaves. As with most desktop enhancement utilities, certain core functions are changed in order to give whatever effect the utility offers. Most can be undone by removing the utility. However, there are some utilities which even when removed, leave the changes in place.

Can you tell us which theme changer you installed and which method of uninstallation you used to remove it?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Can you tell us which theme changer you installed and which method of uninstallation you used to remove it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo09 View Post

I had a theme changer (Theme Park I believe), that I've since uninstalled. I am near certain this is where the problem originated. Besides a system restore, is there a way to default back to the original preferences in their entirety? I.e all settings even those that aren't listed in a user preference pane?
Go into /Library/Application Support/Theme Park.

If the Theme Park part of the file is there drag it to the trash as well. I just dl it and applied a theme and it doesnt have a uninstaller. But when i dragged it to the trash AppTrap asked me if i wanted to trash the associated file so i dare say its still sitting in there. Once done log out then back in and all should be ok

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Halo09

Thanks for the ideas fellas. I tried the suggestions and even with AppTrap I had no luck. I am certain it has something to do with a third party theme package. I'm afraid there is no other option but to do a restore. Thanks for the help though guys
QUOTE Thanks
Halo09

Ok now I am just baffled. I did a system restore and it is still doing it???
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

WHat have you dl ova the last week and installed ??
Maybe try to re-install Theme Park and then Trash it again with AppTrap installed ??
Try Repairing Permissions or run Oynx log out then back in. Is Oynx the correct .v for the OS you are using as this could cause havoc with the system if it was incorrect . . .
Open Activity Monitor and see what processes are running. You might be able to see the culprit and force quit it then go looking for that App/File/Folder ??

Just throwing things out there now.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

When you say restore, did you do a clean install or just standard install?

Maybe also give setting up a new user account a go and see if it happens there.
QUOTE Thanks
Halo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
When you say restore, did you do a clean install or just standard install?

Maybe also give setting up a new user account a go and see if it happens there.
You sir, are a genius. Can NOT believe I never thought to just create a new account. Problem solved instantly. Thank you, so much.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Ok... since the issue doesn't exist in the new user account, but does in the old, the plist file you need to delete is probably located in /Users/youruserid/Library/Preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
Ok... since the issue doesn't exist in the new user account, but does in the old, the plist file you need to delete is probably located in /Users/youruserid/Library/Preferences.
...perhaps com.apple.finder.plist
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows are minimized automatically | Lion Turned Admin User Into Root User »