New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Bluetooth, make macbook appear as a phone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fitzy89

fitzy89 is on a distinguished road

Hello

I've got a rather odd request that I am hoping someone will be able to help me with.

In my car, I have a bluetooth handsfree kit that also works for playing music over A2DP. The car kit in question is one of these.

I would like to play itunes music from my macbook pro through the car kit, this works, better (and with more functionality) than my phone in fact, but as the macbook is a 'computer' and not a 'phone', the car kit isn't too keen and terminates the connection after around 20 seconds.

Is it possible to modify, patch, or change a setting of the bluetooth software on the mac to make it appear to other devices as a phone instead of a computer?

I have contacted the hands-free manufacturer but they have said I'm on my own because it was only designed for phones but they did mention that if it works at all, that there may be a way I could modify my bluetooth drivers to fool the car kit into thinking that a phone is connected. As far as I can see, it's just the 'device type' that I need to change, 'is there an app for that?' lol.

I'm a technical guy so feel free to hit me up with some jargon

Any help anyone can offer would be so much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Very little in the digital world is impossible, but this is inherently very unsafe, distracting and just generally dumb (and probably illegal). Get a better phone.
QUOTE Thanks
fitzy89

fitzy89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Very little in the digital world is impossible, but this is inherently very unsafe, distracting and just generally dumb (and probably illegal). Get a better phone.
I don't mean to actually use the macbook while driving if that's what you thought, I simply want to keep it in the trunk and play music from it using the car kit as the music on my macbook is kept more up to date than that on my phone. The car kit is voice controlled so I don't even need to look away from the road to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Thanks for the explanation, but my last point still stands. I can't, offhand, think of anything you could do with the setup you've envisaged that I couldn't do with the iPhone, which already has voice commands.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to synch MacBook and iMac in same household | osx 10.5 help »