New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Sleeping with connected HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jorseff

Jorseff is on a distinguished road

Hi all.

I typically run my macbook in clamshell mode, with an HD connected for Time Machine. Due to lack of sockets, both the macbook and HD are on the same mains extension lead. When I'm finished using it, I always sleep my mac and switch it off at the wall. However, now that the HD is also connected it also gets switched off, and results in my mac waking up again. This even happens when I eject the HD before sleep. Is there any way to stop this happening?

Due to the lack of sockets there's no way of not turning the HD off with the mac (and other things that are connected to the same extension). Also, physically disconnecting the HD each time isn't on, as all the cables are hidden away.

If anyone has any suggestions on this they would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Eject the HD before sleep, then unplug it from the Mac, then put your Mac to sleep.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Jorseff

Jorseff is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. Is this the only solution? Like I said, all the cabling is hidden away so disconnecting the HD is a bit of a pain. It would be nice for Time Machine to be a completely 'silent' backup that just did its business without the user noticing.

Thanks anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I don't doubt you, but I'm curious as to how the cable from the external drive is inaccessible if you wanted to unplug it from the Mac. I'm just trying to picture a setup where you can't reach the USB or FW cable on the side of your MB.

And yes, that is the only solution I know of. Perhaps another member will know of another.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS X update question | Help clearing my macbook pro »