New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac OS X update question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macmom74

Macmom74 is on a distinguished road

Hey all, just got an iPhone 4 - yeah! Have an older iMac and iPod. Just went to transfer some tunes off my iMac to my iPhone and need an iTunes update (9.0.2 to 10.3.1) to do so. But I also need a Mac OS X update from 10.4.11 to 10.5 to update iTunes I guess. Can I update for free or must I buy a new Mac OS X? If so, what do you recommend keeping cost in mind? Kind if behind the times as I'm a busy mom of 2 little ones. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

To go from Tiger to Leopard (10.4 -> 10.5) you will have to purchase a retail copy of Leopard. Apple does not sell them anymore, but you might find one someone is selling on eBay or Craigslist. Watch out for grey discs - they are machine specific and will not work on any other Mac than the one they shipped with. Only buy a black retail copy. It is not cheap and will likely be well over $100 USD.
Depending on the age of your Mac, it might be more economical to sell your old one and look at a newer model. Apple's refurbished Macs are good as new and you'll save a couple hundred dollars vs. a brand new one.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen has black borders on the left and right. | Sleeping with connected HD »