New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Software Update from Tiger (10.4.3) to (10.4.11)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

editing

editing is on a distinguished road

I have reinstalled 10.4.3 which was OK. software update Mac OS Update combined (Power PC) seems to keep stalling on instalation. The download was OK but on installing the time indicator is just hanging at near completion.
Am I doing something wrong ?
i did upgrade to a larger hard drive and was wondering if there is some compatability problem. any help gratefully received. thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by editing View Post
I have reinstalled 10.4.3 which was OK. software update Mac OS Update combined (Power PC) seems to keep stalling on instalation. The download was OK but on installing the time indicator is just hanging at near completion.
Am I doing something wrong ?
i did upgrade to a larger hard drive and was wondering if there is some compatability problem. any help gratefully received. thank you.
Are you trying to update with the built-in Update software, or did you download the 10.4.11 Update Combo? If the latter, try starting with the 10.4.4 Update Combo. If that is successful, then re-try the 10.4.11.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
editing

Hi
I went with the built in Update method...
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi
I went with the built in Update method...
Then try the Update Combo. It's a manual download and install process.
Mac OS X 10.4.11 Combo Update (PPC)

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
editing

Hi again,
I downloaded OK and Installed. It went through; Introduction, Read me, Licence, Select destination, Installation Type and is saying 100% complete on the Install stage but the thermometer seems to be just stuck at Optimising volume "Macintosh HD": 100% complete ! it doesnt seem to want to go to the final finish up stage. Am I missing something really obvious here....? any help gratefully received.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Hi again,
I downloaded OK and Installed. It went through; Introduction, Read me, Licence, Select destination, Installation Type and is saying 100% complete on the Install stage but the thermometer seems to be just stuck at Optimising volume "Macintosh HD": 100% complete ! it doesnt seem to want to go to the final finish up stage. Am I missing something really obvious here....? any help gratefully received.
Try the 10.4.4 Combo Update and see if that will install. If it does, then do the 10.4.11.
Mac OS X Update 10.4.4 Combo

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
editing

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
i forced quit on the install that seemed to have failed, On restarting it now appears to have worked and is now running ver 10.4.11, which is great. I ran a disc utility to repair disk permissions and all seems to be working now.
I will try to install fcp now, fingers crossed.
Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would down load a fresh copy of 10.4.11 and re-install. This is to be sure nothing is missed in the update.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

I agree with rman. "Something" may not have quite finished up if the installer was hanging. You don't want to find out the hard way.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
editing

Thanks to both of you. I downloaded again and re-installed and this time it sailed through without a hitch. Great, thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« File Sharing Keeps Turning Itself On | Desktop & downloads question »