New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

No audio after resetting PRAM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

troyalexsmith

troyalexsmith is on a distinguished road

Hi, I just reset my PRAM for the first time on my MacbookPro running OSX 10.6.7 because it was hesitating a lot, and now I have no audio with or without headphones. Every time I press the volume up or down buttons, a window pops up showing the volume locked on full with a "do not" symbol below (circle with a line thru it). My wife said she had the problem a few days ago, but I never have until just now after resetting the PRAM. I NEED AUDIO ASAP. Please help. because I really don't know what to do. I read that it may be a driver issue, but I don't know where/how to fix that. I also read about people jamming toothpicks in their headphone jacks to fix it... really?! Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Resetting the PRAM likely had nothing to do with the audio being muted. First, go into your System Preferences, Sound, and check to see if the sound has been accidentally muted.

If it's OK, the headphone jack is probably stuck. Use a strong toothpick and insert in the jack and move it slightly around to try to release the switch that's inside. You might also try inserting and removing a headphone male plug several times to see if that clears it.
QUOTE Thanks
troyalexsmith

troyalexsmith is on a distinguished road

when I went into sound preferences, I cannot access any of the controls - they are all "off limits" (unclickable). The "mute" box is also checked, but can't be unchecked. Could this be from the jack input being stuck? I'll try the toothpick in a while to see if it works.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X Window Focus Behavior | 10.4.11 problems »