New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

File Sharing Keeps Turning Itself On

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

orbit79

orbit79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram 500GB HDD, iPad 16 GB WIFI & 3G, iPhone 16GB.

Hi all,

During my studies I have been running all sorts of servers on my mac. Now I'm wanting to turn them all off as I have finished. I can disable file sharing in the system preferences, but on reboot it is enabled again. I use Parallels but have all file sharing turned off due all my important stuff being on Dropbox. Is it possible that either of these could be turning file sharing back on. Other apps that I could think that 'may' have something to do with it would be Logmein and uTorrent. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Inabsentia

Inabsentia is on a distinguished road

Hmm... as an avid user of dropbox, parallels and utorrent, I can safely say it wouldn't be those programs. I'm rather paranoid when operating on wifi and have always made sure I am not sharing anything if I don't intend to... anyways it looks like something is modifying your permissions. I am not sure about logmein though, but I am familiar with what it does.

one thing you could try to test this theory is by making a new account. try to replicate the problem through that account.

You could also try this method:

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then move these files to the Desktop:

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sharing.firewall.plist

now, restart and try to config sharing again. see if that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
orbit79

Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram 500GB HDD, iPad 16 GB WIFI & 3G, iPhone 16GB.

Thanks for your help but sadly no luck. I disabled logmein and it didn't help, so I don't think that's the problem either.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't know if this does it or not, but do you have Home Sharing turned on in iTunes?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
orbit79

When I first read that I thought "I bet that's it" but sadly it didn't help either. I'm thinking I might just have to live with it on. Although it'll bug me lol
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I've never run any servers to speak of, so I'm not conversant with any of them, but the only other thing I can think of is some server service that has yet to be turned off.

Have you checked in your user Account's Startup to see what might be launching at boot up?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
orbit79

Yeah I've checked the login items and there's nothing there (other than what's been discussed) that I think could possibly be affecting it.

Regarding the servers, for anyone with experience with them, I've been running the native version of Apache (through 'Web Sharing' - on port 80, with PHP enabled) as well as an Apache Tomcat server (on port 8080), and and MySQL Server (on port 3306).

I have shutdown Apache by unchecking 'Web Sharing'. I have run ./shutdown.sh for Apache Tomcat (and it doesn't auto start). I have turned off MySQL Server through the tool in the System Preferences. Anyone see any possible problems?

Oh and thanks for your help too mate
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Magic Trackpad | Software Update from Tiger (10.4.3) to (10.4.11) »