New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Finder Sidebar

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

twitchymike@mac

twitchymike@mac has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb

Can't find anything relevant here.
A new problem to me.

I usually drag a few folders onto the sidebar, which I assume are aliases. Since a restore from a Time Machine backup due to physical HD failure, and I'm delighted everything is in place just as before!

BUT

My alias folders in PLACES can't be removed. I played with the sidebar prefs - the default items can be checked or unchecked. I tend to keep 'em all. I want to remove those folders and make new ones. Right clicking anything in the sidebar gives the remove from sidebar... option in the list, but NOT these! Clicking on them used to put the contents in the main window. Some were connected server directories; some local, and individual files. They opened with the subtle zoom effect. Nothing works. All I can do it move these items around in PLACES. Right-click only gives Open Sidebar Preferences...

Is the a system file I can use to remove these aliases? I tried trashing user -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.sidebarlists.plists

it was in the bin but, as usual, it eventually re-appears, with no changes. Is there a better way?

This file opens in XCode, but I can't make much sense of it
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

cmd>click>drag off the sidebar then release the click and they will disappear in a puff of smoke.

HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
twitchymike@mac

twitchymike@mac has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb

You been using a Mac for a while?

I know my flowerkey. I can't believe that's not possible with a right-click, or just a drag.

OK. Took me 5 seconds.

Ta!!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

^^^ Learnt all i know from this forum mate. Glad it all worked out.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

command click is different from a right click which is actually a control click.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchymike@mac View Post
I know my flowerkey. I can't believe that's not possible with a right-click, or just a drag.
That's a term is new to me. Actually, the symbol closely resembles a "clover-leaf" highway interchange. But, yeah, many things on the Sidebar can be removed with a simple drag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
command click is different from a right click which is actually a control click.
This. ...but the right click won't do it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto library fix | OS X Window Focus Behavior »