New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Automator: Having trouble converting multi-page TIFF to PDF

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Guru Meditation

Guru Meditation is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac (Penryn) 2.8ghz 4GbRam 500GbHDD

I have a simple Automator/Applescript requirement to simply convert multiple page TIFF files to PDF.

My work has fax software that saves files as multiple page TIFFs. In order to see faxes when I'm not in the office I save to a dropbox folder.

The Dropbox iPhone app can't actually open/display TIFF files so I thought I'd use an automator folder workflow to convert the files to PDF. It seems easy in principle, but the resulting PDF contains only the first page of the TIFF file. The Preview automator action "Change type of images" doesn't have a PDF option, but there is a "New PDF from images" action available. Using this I get the PDF file of the first page of the TIFF file only.

Using PDFPen I can manually open the TIFF and SaveAs PDF and this achieves precisely what I need, and PDFPen does have applescript support, although my knowledge of Applescript is very limited and there is no documentation on which commands PDFPen supports in applescript. None of the included sample scripts help me to work out how to simply open the TIFF in PDFPen and save it out as a PDF. I contacted the developer, Smile who responded

Quote:
If you are interesting in learning more about AppleScript, we generally suggest the book AppleScript 1-2-3: Amazon.com: Apple Training Series: AppleScript 1-2-3 (9780321149312): Sal Soghoian, Bill Cheeseman: Books
And you can see some examples of existing PDFPenPro AppleScripts by viewing the ones that came with PDFPen, located on your computer at [Home]/Library/Application Support/PDFpenPro/Scripts
I have this book already, but I'm not able to work out how to achieve what I need to do.

Anyone been able to convert multiple page TIFFs to PDF using Automator or Applescript?

I've searched for an anser and found plenty of people with the same problem, but no solutions yet.

Thanks,

Mark.

When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandad, not horribly screaming like the other people in his car.
QUOTE Thanks
Guru Meditation

Guru Meditation is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac (Penryn) 2.8ghz 4GbRam 500GbHDD

Anyone?

When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandad, not horribly screaming like the other people in his car.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Downloading, memory issues | Slow startup after system restore »