New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

I Brought my Mac To Life!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

twitchymike@mac

twitchymike@mac has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb

I've suffered severe loss of performance for about 6 months or more, searching for a reason why so much time is lost on beachballs, unable to click on anything. All this happens immediately from boot, having to wait for 10 - 30 minutes for the menubar or dock to appear, with applications bobbing for ages, and then either refusing to start, sat static, or the little blue light will eventually come on, so it's usable, but just by right-or-left-clicking would freeze the dock, until it's ready to respond. Just typing anything, such as this text, I've had to wait unlimited minutes for the cursor to start again and let me continue.

The most annoying bit is having extreme pauses playing music in iTunes - from < 1 second to minutes of silence. All beachballs. A test with radio instead of playing stored MP3s gave me the answer.

Remember how many factors there can be in failing to respond. I thought it was corrupted software, or waiting for remote hosts on LAN or WAN. I thought two 2.8GHz Xeons, 100Gb of free disk space and 6GB of FB-DIMMS on my Mac Pro on the latest Snow would be sufficient. Theoretically the system was working, if you're content to wait for so long to get anything done. Nothing lost, apart from time, accompanied by fury.

Downloading SMART Utility is all I needed. With not much detail on the status; just FAILING was enough. The hang-ups made it all clear. Verifying the disk, and continually repairing permissions did no good. I wish a simple verify would include some more detail, rather than just OK. I think Apple would do themselves some good instead of letting their userbase suffer loss.

I fired up Time Machine to keep 24-hour policy switched on while looking for a new disk to buy. I tried restoring over the original disk with exactly the same attributes. Now, restoring the backup over a fresh disk has made a snappy, swift machine, without one single beachball in sight. Wondering what to do with the two-year-old bad disk, after a reformat. The next time I see a beachball, I know what I'll be doing
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchymike@mac View Post
Wondering what to do with the two-year-old bad disk, after a reformat. The next time I see a beachball, I know what I'll be doing
If you have a good set of precision screwdrivers, disassembly of the mechanism is always a fun hobby. I love the huge and powerful magnets inside. They make great toys.

Congrats on finding the root cause and getting back to normal again.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchymike@mac View Post
I've suffered severe loss of performance for about 6 months or more, searching for a reason why so much time is lost on beachballs, unable to click on anything.
Once you realized that this was an ongoing performance issue (rather than waiting 6+ months)...you could have posted here ASAP! We hear about this sort of problem all the time (beach-balls, apps taking forever to load, slow response to mouse clicks, etc.).

Sure you would have gotten some initial advice to:

- check the HD with disk utility
- repair permissions
- reformat & reinstall the OS
- etc.

But some of the suggestions would have been..."bad hard drive".

In any case..congrats on figuring it out...too bad you didn't post sooner...maybe we could have saved a bunch of frustration. It's amazing how a faulty HD can slow down a super fast 8-core Mac Pro!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flashing screen | 140mb »