New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Sudo not working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

buligjigandi

buligjigandi is on a distinguished road

hi.
in my mac os x 10.6.7 I can't make sudo
when I try executing sudo I get:

sudo: can't stat /etc/sudoers: No such file or directory
Segmentation fault

Any idea or help?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Did you modify the file?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
buligjigandi

I dont think so. I had to perform a "check and repair permissions" and then "check and repair disk" using a Mac OS DVD. I think the problems started after these operations: some applications don't start at all and the present issue with sudo
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Sounds like larger issues, have a backup? I'd personally just do a restore of the disk, or lacking a good backup, the OS.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
buligjigandi

It's strange. I can start Chrome, Safari and some other apps, but some other don't start at all like Firefox, Thunderbird, TexShop, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
claytab

claytab is on a distinguished road

I am also having problems working with sudo in terminal.

I'm trying to copy my php.ini.default to php.ini
When I open my terminal, I put in all the correct data (see below) but when I am asked for my password, it freezes and the only way i can do anything is to hit enter, all other characters are disabled?? -- Can anyone help??

Last login: Mon Jul 27 12:43:39 on console
Maxod-Man-5:~ abbs$ cd /private/etc
Maxod-Man-5:etc abbs$ ls php*
php.ini.default
Maxod-Man-5:etc abbs$ sudo cp php.ini.default php.ini

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:

?? _ what do I have to do ..
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

As far as the comment above goes, the password field won't acknowledge you're typing anything, but it's taking it.
QUOTE Thanks
claytab

claytab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
As far as the comment above goes, the password field won't acknowledge you're typing anything, but it's taking it.
thanks for the prompt reply, works fine and I now have php installed
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine backupts to remote server | problems copying files »