New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help with mac to mac file migration

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

usmcpjg

usmcpjg is on a distinguished road

Just got a brand new imac and am trying to transfer my files from the old G3. Using Migration Assistant, I've tried Firewire, but target mac just sits there saying it's waiting for source mac to restart, even though the FireWire symbol is bouncing around the screen on source mac. Source mac uses ethernet from my cable modem, and I've only been able to get online wirelessly on target mac. So . . . it seems, after 5 hours of messing with it, my easiest route is going to be via disk (or flash drive?), but have no clue how to accomplish that.

I'm dying to take advantage of this marvelous piece of technology!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcpjg View Post
Just got a brand new imac and am trying to transfer my files from the old G3. Using Migration Assistant, I've tried Firewire, but target mac just sits there saying it's waiting for source mac to restart, even though the FireWire symbol is bouncing around the screen on source mac. Source mac uses ethernet from my cable modem, and I've only been able to get online wirelessly on target mac. So . . . it seems, after 5 hours of messing with it, my easiest route is going to be via disk (or flash drive?), but have no clue how to accomplish that.

I'm dying to take advantage of this marvelous piece of technology!!
Ah… you either have your terminology confused, or you have the wrong device booted in target disk mode. Start up the new iMac as normal. Connect the two computers with firewire. Then restart the G3 in target disk mode. Once done, the G3 should have the icon bouncing around.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
usmcpjg

usmcpjg is on a distinguished road

That's what I've been doing except I have Migration Assistant open on the target mac (the new one) and when it tells me to, I restart the source mac (the G3) in target disk mode and the icon is a-bouncing, but even after 15 mins, Migration Assistant on the new mac says it's waiting for the source mac to restart.

I still think I'd be better off just using a disk (or flash drive) or would that just be a pain in the you-know-what?!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Either the firewire port on the G3 is dead, or you have a bad Firewire 400-to-800 cable. That absolutely should be working as you describe it.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcpjg View Post
That's what I've been doing except I have Migration Assistant open on the target mac (the new one) and when it tells me to, I restart the source mac (the G3) in target disk mode and the icon is a-bouncing, but even after 15 mins, Migration Assistant on the new mac says it's waiting for the source mac to restart.

I still think I'd be better off just using a disk (or flash drive) or would that just be a pain in the you-know-what?!
Your terminology is wrong (the G3 is the TARGET, the new iMac is the HOST), but otherwise it sounds like you have things started up properly. Chas has already summed up what the problem must be. You can instead try connecting the two computers together on a wired ethernet connection and use the Network option rather than Firewire. Both will have to be turned on as normal.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing mac osx on other company computers | Read and Write error »