New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OSx Lion fresh install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newby

newby is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2

Hi a relative Mac newbie here.

I have a MacBookPro and it's chock full. I want to wipe it and start a fresh.

I got the macbookpro second hand and don't have any discs or anything.

However, noticing that Lion is coming out at such an amazing price, I figure I'll buy that and install. But I notice it's available from App Store and you need snow leopard etc.

Can I get it in real life Apple Store? Whats the price difference?

if I can't:

How big is the download?

Can I put it on disc and erase my whole computer and start a fresh?

Many thanks for all help...
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

No one can say for sure until the details are released in black and white by Apple/release day.

However, at the moment there doesn't appear to be a shop bought retail version, it's about a 4gb download and it does look like you'll be able to burn the download to a disc for fresh install purposes

But, as above, any or all of these things could change once Lion is released.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
newby

newby is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2

Thanks MrPlow - great help! :-)
QUOTE Thanks
Claymon

Claymon is on a distinguished road

it looks like Snow Leopard is required to install Lion. am I correct?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymon View Post
it looks like Snow Leopard is required to install Lion. am I correct?
Using the search at the top of the forum should help answer that for you.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet Sharing Not Working | how is lion installed »