New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Question about finder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joeg679

joeg679 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 6-2011, iPad 1, 2&3, iPhone 4s, ATV2

When I go into Finder, I see a section on the left side with history from today, yesterday, etc and then it lists movies, pics and documents. Is there a way to turn that history off or if I clear it, will it delete the actual files? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Don't delete anything in there, as you are deleting the actual files.
Go to Finder in the menu bar, preferences, sidebar, and deselect anything you don't want showing there.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Not sure if this is what you want.... but open the Finder, click on preferences, and remove the checks from the boxes under the section that says "Search for". That should eliminate the history. I have mine set that way and the history doesn't show up in Finder.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Ps. you can also right click and select remove from sidebar.
QUOTE Thanks
joeg679

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Go to Finder in the menu bar, preferences, sidebar, and deselect anything you don't want showing there.
Great, thanks. By de-selecting the history part I won't be limiting my search results if I do decide to search for something that I used yesterday, will I?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg679 View Post
By de-selecting the history part I won't be limiting my search results if I do decide to search for something that I used yesterday, will I?
Nope
QUOTE Thanks
joeg679

Great, thanks a lot, guys!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the OP is referring to Smart Folders, and removing them from the sidebar. That won't delete the files.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the OP is referring to Smart Folders, and removing them from the sidebar. That won't delete the files.
Deleting items within them will delete the files.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Deleting items within them will delete the files.
As I understood the OP, this was not the question.

Quote:
When I go into Finder, I see a section on the left side with history from today, yesterday, etc and then it lists movies, pics and documents. Is there a way to turn that history off or if I clear it, will it delete the actual files? Thanks
Perhaps in the next part of that, by "clear it" the OP means delete everything in it, but I didn't take it that way. However, "turning it off" is simple. Drag it off, which has the same effect as unchecking it in preferences. That does not delete the files. You can also just click the "disclosure triangle" and get the list to "roll up" and be out of sight.

But if OP means not having those things "tracked" in the Smart Folders, I'm not aware of a way to do that. I admit that I thought those were just aliases, and did not know you could delete the real file from that location. Good to know!

I also thought I'd read that these are not copies of the files, and thus do not take up more disk space. Maybe that led me to the above conclusion. So, is that not the case either?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
As I understood the OP, this was not the question.

Perhaps in the next part of that, by "clear it" the OP means delete everything in it, but I didn't take it that way. However, "turning it off" is simple. Drag it off, which has the same effect as unchecking it in preferences. That does not delete the files. You can also just click the "disclosure triangle" and get the list to "roll up" and be out of sight.

But if OP means not having those things "tracked" in the Smart Folders, I'm not aware of a way to do that. I admit that I thought those were just aliases, and did not know you could delete the real file from that location. Good to know!

I also thought I'd read that these are not copies of the files, and thus do not take up more disk space. Maybe that led me to the above conclusion. So, is that not the case either?
Quote:
Is there a way to turn that history off or if I clear it, will it delete the actual files?
Looks to me that I answered the question correctly, but who knows unless the OP comes back to clear things up for you?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Yeah. What about my question?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

For some of the searches you guys have been talking about it seems to me that for files on locally connected drives the files are moved to the trash but not deleted. I am not sure whether the same applies to files stored on network shares. Then again maybe I am misunderstanding something.

Perhaps someone else can test this with a dummy/junk file. Not with anything important obviously. Seems to me it moved the files to the trash last time I used it. Then again I have Finder set to warn me before deleting stuff.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
For some of the searches you guys have been talking about it seems to me that for files on locally connected drives the files are moved to the trash but not deleted. I am not sure whether the same applies to files stored on network shares. Then again maybe I am misunderstanding something.

Perhaps someone else can test this with a dummy/junk file. Not with anything important obviously. Seems to me it moved the files to the trash last time I used it. Then again I have Finder set to warn me before deleting stuff.
It does move it to the trash before deleting it.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Thanks. I was beginning to think I had forgotten something.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Disk | MD5 different in terminal than 3rd party ap - why? »