Home folder has gone along with all my files
    I have done something which has caused me to lose my home folder and everything with it. I do not know how and have tried loads of things found in forum discussions to fix it but nothing works.

I inherited my MacBook from my sister and I have no 10.4 disk to help. There is no Time Machine on it but I have got FireVault activated, not that I really understand what it does.

I tried to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6 but it told me I needed to partition my drive so I wanted to do a back up first. I reformatted a HP Personal Media external drive using Disk Utilities and tried to copy my Macintosh HD onto it. I got a message box telling me it was going to take 8 hours so I left it over night. When I checked on it the message now told me I did not have certain privileges so I cancelled. I shut the computer down thinking I would come back to it later to try again. When I logged in to my user I got a new message 'the home folder for user is not located in the usual place or cannot be accessed...' the desktop reverts back to a new user with no icons but the HD drive.

I tried to find my user by going to Users/my user but I get a message 'the alias 'me' could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found.' I get the options 'delete alias' 'fix alias' 'OK'. Fix alias asks me to choose item I want the alias to open but nothing works and ok does nothing and I have not clicked delete.

I have tried searching for my user, folders and files using spotlight but there is nothing.

I have been to disk utility and repaired disk permissions and get the message 'The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume' but nothing changes. I've tried a few commands, again I don't fully understand it all, and nothing.

I have created a new user as an admin ad tried logging in and finding them that way, still nothing.

I have lost my music, my portfolio, my documents and worst of all my photos. I have no back up and no OS X disk to load from. I have an appointment at an Apple store at the weekend but am hoping someone here can tell me what is going on.

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    Did you ever rename your home folder in the finder?

Have a look in the Users folder, if these is a User folder in there that has a lot of files in it, then all your stuff is in there
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by card3 View Post
    There is no Time Machine on it but I have got FireVault activated, not that I really understand what it does.
    <shakes head>

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Information