New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Unable to Locate App/File to Uninstall

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mileman2010

Mileman2010 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, i5, 2.83GHz, 8GB Ram; 17" MacBook Pro; iPad 3

I am having a problem locating 1) an app to uninstall; and 2) a file to uninstall. I'm getting error messages from each, but they seem to be hiding. I've looked in the Applications folder; done a Spotlight search in Finder; and even tried to find them with MacKeeper, in order to uninstall them, to no avail.

The app is named "Unsanity Application Helper".

The file is "com.apple.iphotomosaic.plist" which is supposedly in my Users/Library/Preferences folder. It does not seem to be there.

Thanks in advance for any help.

M.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Telling us what the error messages are along with what are you doing when you get the error and what version of OS X you're running would be helpful.

Try:

System Preferences - Accounts - highlight your account - click on Startup - remove Unsanity.

From my recollection and you're running Tiger or Leopard, Unsanity also puts an icon for itself in System Preferences. Go there to remove it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Mileman2010

Bob --

Thanks for your reply.

I tried your initial suggestions, but the problems remain.

With regard to the Unsanity App, here is the message I get on booting up (obviously, you'll see I'm running an app called DrivePulse, which I've found to be useful and hassle-free, except for this):

'Application Incompatibility

"Unsanity Application Enhancer" has known stability
issues and is incompatible with DrivePulse. Please
check with the vendor for an update, or disable it.'

Also, any ideas regarding the "iphotomosaic.plist" error, which persists in causing alerts telling me to remove it and then verify permissions?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Still need more details - What version of OS X are you using?

Is the unsanity app not listed in your startup items?
Does it not have an item on the bottom row of System Preferences?
Has it been installed previously and then you dragged it to the trash instead of uninstalling it properly?

What are you doing when you get the error for iphotomosaic and have you run repair permissions? Have you tried changing your screensaver to none to see if that error goes away?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Look inside your User (Home) folder in the Library folder. The likely locations are either Application Enhancers or Application Support. I think the Unsanity stuff is in Application Enhancers but can't be sure. That folder is empty for me.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Mileman2010

I'm running OS X 10.6.7.

There is no listing anywhere for the Unsanity app, no listing in System Prefs, nothing in any Library subfolder. Yet is continues to generate the error, which is only an annoyance, but still an annoyance.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Look in ~/Library/LaunchAgents and/or /Library/LaunchAgents, /Library/LaunchDaemons.
And of course /Library/StartupItems.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If it is the Unsanity Application Enhancer that's causing issues, reinstall it and uninstall it properly following the instructions here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mobile me problems | Keychain does not work anymore »