New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Home username

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

micvro

micvro is on a distinguished road

Good day everyone. I recently (about a month ago) changed to Mac OS after a long time of doubting, and must say I am very pleased with it. However, I purchased a demo device (that is flawless as a new one) because of a considerable price discount; BUT only one 'problem' with this: the home name (with the house icon) was set to the name of the store. I would very much like to see this changed to a name I chose, so I went online to look how to do so because I couldn't find it for myself. This is what I came up with from the apple site and what I did: I logged in as root user and "changed" the name under /users as I would change any other folder's name, all went well, I logged out and logged in as my regular account again only to see all my settings reset to factory settings, and to find a new folder under /user with the name I had given to my "home" folder. Plus, the folder I wanted to change the name from, is still there with the house icon, set as my home folder, with an unchanged name lol. I have no reason to panic though, everything I downloaded, favorited and installed is still in that new folder, but you can imagine that the result is not what I had in mind. I hope I have made a clear sketch of the situation in order to ask you this: any advice from you guys how to do this?
Thanks a lot in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Got the system disc that came with the machine? If so erase the hard drive and do a clean install setting things up as you want them and not some third party. Always the best with a demo, used or pre-loved machine.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
micvro

micvro is on a distinguished road

Thanks mate, but that seemed a bit too much effort for what I wanted to do. I kept digging on Google and eventually came up with this solution: I logged in on root again, clicked my main account and selected advanced options, then I changed the location of my home folder to the one I created earlier tonight. I clicked ok, rebooted and all is fine now and my home folder is the one I created. Joy!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« locked music files | Readon Player »