New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help! How do i install os on new macbook hard drive!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thalco

thalco is on a distinguished road

Old hard drive crashed. Bought/installed new hard drive. How do I install OSX Snow Leopard on new hard drive? I am absolute novice with MAC...
QUOTE Thanks
Zigdog

Zigdog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD

You need the two disks that came with you mac.
Insert the one labelled install disk one into the laptop then start it up.
From there it's simple onscreen instructions as far as I remember.

Let us know how you get on
Zigdog
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Don't forget that you may also need to format the new HD. As Zigdog mentioned:

- you need boot your computer (insert disk, hold down "c" key) from the gray disk #1 that came with your Mac when new (or a compatible full install OS disk)
- if you need to format the new hard drive you will need to launch Disk Utility to do the formatting (Mac OS Extended Journaled)
- then proceed with the OS install.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
thalco

First of all, thanks for the input...Bought Mac from a friend of a friend, therefore no gray disk.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalco View Post
First of all, thanks for the input...Bought Mac from a friend of a friend, therefore no gray disk.
Ok then...the first thing we need to know is what model Mac do you have? This will let us know what OS install options you have.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
thalco

Black MacBook. On the old hard drive I had OSX Snow Leopard installed. I had a Mac & More store do it was crazy expensive and would like to try to do this myself. I am fairly proficient with Windows and do this stuff for my desktops and other laptop...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Black MacBook. On the old hard drive I had OSX Snow Leopard installed. I had a Mac & More store do it was crazy expensive and would like to try to do this myself. I am fairly proficient with Windows and do this stuff for my desktops and other laptop...
Thanks for the info...I wanted to be sure if you had an Intel based Mac computer or not. Since you do (and don't have the original gray install discs)...your best option is to get a $29 dollar OS 10.6 install disk from your nearest Apple retail store...or purchase it online from Apple.com or elsewhere.

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
thalco

I have the following: Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD Version 10.6.3.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You should be able to format the drive and install from that disc. You Even run Disk Utility from that DVD if you have not yet formatted the drive. here are Apple's directions for various types of installations http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...structions.pdf

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
thalco

Thanks for all of the info...the cd drive kept ejecting the installation cd...so I took it to the Mac & More store...hopefully they will be able to solve the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thanks for all of the info...the cd drive kept ejecting the installation cd...so I took it to the Mac & More store...hopefully they will be able to solve the issue.
It's always possible that the DVD drive on this black MacBook is bad...or there's a problem with the Snow Leopard install DVD.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photoshop question - how to do this? | OSX 10.4.4 to 10.4.11 error »