Did I permanently break my Mac?
    So yesterday my black MacBook I got in late 2008 which runs leopard was acting kind of slow. I went to see if maybe I had to much data on my hard drive. So I clicked on hard drive properties and then I saw at the bottom there was something that said access ( I think? This is all from memory as I can't get on) and I remember it's saying something like read and write for admin and you could change things etc. But I noticed there was a "everybody" option and it was set to read only ( I think)

So I thought that this meant that other people could see my data ( which I can't have happening considering I have work stuff on here) so I made it so you couldn't get onto it.I forget what my options were but I know I changed it. This is all from memory so I'm sorry if it's confusing.

So I do that and nothing happens, this morning I turn it on and the start up sound happens and I see the apple and see the spinning thing but it doesn't do anything after that. It never goes past that screen.

Is what I did the cause of this or did something else happen.

Also, how do I fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by xJxDx0926 View Post
    So yesterday my black MacBook I got in late 2008 which runs leopard was acting kind of slow. I went to see if maybe I had to much data on my hard drive. So I clicked on hard drive properties and then I saw at the bottom there was something that said access ( I think? This is all from memory as I can't get on) and I remember it's saying something like read and write for admin and you could change things etc. But I noticed there was a "everybody" option and it was set to read only ( I think)

So I thought that this meant that other people could see my data ( which I can't have happening considering I have work stuff on here) so I made it so you couldn't get onto it.I forget what my options were but I know I changed it. This is all from memory so I'm sorry if it's confusing.

So I do that and nothing happens, this morning I turn it on and the start up sound happens and I see the apple and see the spinning thing but it doesn't do anything after that. It never goes past that screen.

Is what I did the cause of this or did something else happen.

Also, how do I fix it?
    It appears you have modified your permissions to the point that it is unbootable. You can try booting in Safe Mode. Failing that, boot from the install disk and use Disk Utilities to try and repair permissions. See link below for full instructions on what to do. If this fails, you are facing reinstallation of your OS.
    Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

So the fsck and safe mode would not work, I don't have my disks anymore either. I never updated to snow leopard.

Can I boot from a snow leopard upgrade disk to fix this or do I have to buy the snow leopard os disk outright?

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    You'll need to either restore from your SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner backup (or you could just boot into that backup and put the permissions back) or head out and spend the $30 to buy yourself a retail copy of Snow Leopard.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPod Touch
    This is the sharing & permissions issue
    Repair disk permissions & Troubleshoot your Mac
    Troubleshooting permissions issues in Mac OS X
    If nothing happens reinstall your OSX & Restore your data from your Time Machine backup..

ok i finally located my os disks,

the issue is, I stupidly don;t have a time machine.

So is there any way to do so without losing my data?? Will I loose everything if I re install the new OS?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Did you try repairing permissions first as you were advised to do? You'll need to boot the machine with your install DVD, select the language, and then choose "Utilities", "Disk Utility" from the top menu. Over on the right side of the menu you'll see the "repair permissions" button. Select that and let it run. It may take awhile but if it works, you should be able to boot back into OS X as per normal.

the "verify disk permissions" button is greyed out (unclickable) . DO I have to verify the disk first?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Looks like the drive permissions have you locked out even when booting from the install DVD. It's probably going to take a disk wipe and reinstall to fix it. You may be able to fix permissions from Terminal. My terminal is rusty and don't want to give you a command line that will make matters worse. Let's wait until someone who is more familiar with using the terminal can help.

In the meantime be prepared to wipe the drive. One thing about Leopard which is good is that it will do an archive and install. Hopefully it will allow you to do that as it would preserve your data.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Looks like the drive permissions have you locked out even when booting from the install DVD. It's probably going to take a disk wipe and reinstall to fix it. You may be able to fix permissions from Terminal. My terminal is rusty and don't want to give you a command line that will make matters worse. Let's wait until someone who is more familiar with using the terminal can help.

In the meantime be prepared to wipe the drive. One thing about Leopard which is good is that it will do an archive and install. Hopefully it will allow you to do that as it would preserve your data.
    thanks. What are the odds of someone knowing the terminal lines?

If the archive works I will just wipe it with a re installation of the OS but I would need to know that it works.

Specs:
    2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
    Yea, wiping the disk won't let you do an archive and install. If you wipe the disk, you're boned and will have to move your stuff manually from your backup.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM
    Have you considered. As a workaround
    Best wishes.

is there any other option of a back up at this point?

Thread Information