New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Firefox in two Spaces?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

A recent post regarding Spaces got me to relook at this feature. To be useable for me I need Firefox in both Spaces but I cannot appear to do this. I could run Firefox in one Space and Safari in another. This is a bit of a cluge but is workable.

However, I then found I need Excel in both Spaces too - same problem. Unless I run one version of Excel in one Space and an earlier version of Excel or, say, Numbers in the other but then it starts getting silly.

Is there any way around this restriction? It would make Spaces so much more usable for me.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

?? Do not use MS Office on my Macs.
Don't use Spaces either.

Can you open two Excel or FF windows in one space?
Then move one of the windows to the 2nd space.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough

Bobtomay - Brilliant. Works a treat. The best answers are always (well... not always) the simple ones. Many thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

If you go to go to System Preferences, then Exposé and Spaces, if you deselect "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application" - you can then be in the desired space - hit cmd-space to bring up spotlight - type firefox - and you'll see the firefox menu bar in that space. You can then open a new window - without manually moving from space to space.

This doesn't seem to work for excel - but there are ways to open multiple fully independent instances of other applications from Terminal - if you want to got that route.
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

Simply click and hold on a window then press the space shortcuts and the window will be dragged kicking and screaming into the new space.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
A recent post regarding Spaces got me to relook at this feature. To be useable for me I need Firefox in both Spaces
That's sort of what tabs do for you isn't it?
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Not exactly. In one space I wanted the apps needed for a current work related project (excel,word and firefox), in another I had more personal stuff (firefox, excel) and also iphoto, Photoshop Elements...

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I see. But I don't see anything wrong with using two browsers. That's what I do at work. One is for work-related sites, the other is for lunch time personal e-mail, and, of course, Mac Forums.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Take Isight picture on login | Logging out »