Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Leopard - Upgrade to Snow or wait for Lion? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/240324-leopard-upgrade-snow-wait-lion.html)

Saturngoddess 06-03-2011 08:51 PM

Leopard - Upgrade to Snow or wait for Lion?
 
I have Leopard right now, and bought Snow Leopard this afternoon from Apple, mainly just to have since they said most likely they won't offer it past Monday.

So... I'm just wondering (guessing really, since none of us know about Lion yet), but... would you guys upgrade to Snow Leopard or would you just wait till Monday to find out.

I'm guessing I would have to upgrade anyway - ie - can't go from Leopard to Lion without a upgrade, but since you guys have more experience than I do (I'm pretty much a IMac virgin) I'd thought I'd ask you.

My son, who I bought this IMac from - just told me to update, but I figured I'd ask the experienced ones here :-)

Thanks :-)

schweb 06-03-2011 09:27 PM

WHo is "they" that said it would be offered after Monday?

If you already own SL, you might as well upgrade. It won't hurt either way, and honestly, it's unlikely Lion will be coming out for a bit still.

chscag 06-03-2011 09:30 PM

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

We really have no information regarding the release of Lion nor do we know if an upgrade from Leopard to Lion is possible. I'm guessing that the upgrade path will be from Snow Leopard to Lion.

If you have already purchased Snow Leopard I would do the upgrade from Leopard. Later on if you should decide to buy Lion when it's released, you can upgrade again.

Saturngoddess 06-03-2011 11:31 PM

Upgrade to Snow or wait for Lion?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by schweb (Post 1247291)
WHo is "they" that said it would be offered after Monday?

If you already own SL, you might as well upgrade. It won't hurt either way, and honestly, it's unlikely Lion will be coming out for a bit still.


Hi - It was the Specialist at the Apple store. I wasn't quite sure if I needed to do a sequential upgrade or not. He said that as soon as Lion is announced, it would be most likely that Apple would not sell SL online or in the store.

I didn't believe him, but bought it anyway, as I went there for that purpose (and to drool over the Iphone 4 :-).

dtravis7 06-04-2011 01:26 AM

So you have any expensive apps you can not afford to replace that need Rosetta to run? If so, get Snow Leopard as every Dev has flat out said no Rosetta in 10.7. Otherwise up to you.

Saturngoddess 06-09-2011 04:26 PM

Update to Snow or wait for Lion?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dtravis7 (Post 1247354)
So you have any expensive apps you can not afford to replace that need Rosetta to run? If so, get Snow Leopard as every Dev has flat out said no Rosetta in 10.7. Otherwise up to you.

What is Rosetta? I'm new to Mac so I'm not familiar with this.

TattooedMac 06-09-2011 04:29 PM

Rosetta (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically it lets PPC Apps to run on a Intel Machine

dtravis7 06-09-2011 05:31 PM

Power PC Emulation. Only issues are some very expensive programs like say Adobe CS2 and below that will only work on Power PC or Intel with Rosetta. Also there are some games that are not that old that need Rosetta to run. I paid a lot of $$$ for them and I will have to have 10.6 installed to use them.

TattooedMac 06-10-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtravis7 (Post 1250337)
I paid a lot of $$$ for them and I will have to have 10.6 installed to use them.


Does that bother you at all with the eminent release of Lion 10.7 ??
Where you going to upgrade only to find out Lion wont support what you need ??

dtravis7 06-10-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TattooedMac (Post 1250723)
Does that bother you at all with the eminent release of Lion 10.7 ??
Where you going to upgrade only to find out Lion wont support what you need ??

Bugs me no end but I guess you can say progress! :D

I don't have to own Lion but I think I will get the suction cups and take off the front from my iMac, and install a 1TB drive and run both 10.6 and 10.7 side by side. At $29 for Lion I for sure want it here.

TattooedMac 06-10-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtravis7 (Post 1250737)
Bugs me no end but I guess you can say progress! :D

I don't have to own Lion but I think I will get the suction cups and take off the front from my iMac, and install a 1TB drive and run both 10.6 and 10.7 side by side. At $29 for Lion I for sure want it here.

Yea thought as much. And think of the 000's out there in your predicament.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.