New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Unable to open/save pdf's in Safari or Firefox...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yzfmik

yzfmik is on a distinguished road

I am unable to open pdf files in Safari or Firefox on my iMac. I have no problems on either of my MacBook Pro's. When I try to save one I get this error..."The document “output.pdf” could not be exported as “Test”." I have tried to reset Safari, reboot, etc... Any idea's of what could be going on?

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
 MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz
 iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz /  iPod 30GB /  iPhone 5 32GB
 iPad 2 64GB / 3rd Gen iPad 64 GB/ iPad Mini 32GB
QUOTE Thanks
yzfmik

Also I have a separate logon for my daughter and when I logon under her name same thing, pdf's won't open in Safari/Firefox.

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I'm going to guess you have a PDF file somewhere on your hard disk. Try single-clicking on it and hit Command + I. That should bring up the "Get Info" window. Under "Opens With", what program is listed?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
yzfmik

It shows "Preview" as the default program to open pdf's. Pdf's on the hard drive always open in preview, but pdf's you click on in Safari/Firefix always opened in the browser, but won't now. I removed the adobepdfviewer plugin from the plug in folder, then it forces the pdf to download, which is ok for a temporary fix, but I would like pdf's to open in the browser as they always have.

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfmik View Post
It shows "Preview" as the default program to open pdf's. Pdf's on the hard drive always open in preview, but pdf's you click on in Safari/Firefix always opened in the browser, but won't now. I removed the adobepdfviewer plugin from the plug in folder, then it forces the pdf to download, which is ok for a temporary fix, but I would like pdf's to open in the browser as they always have.
Sounds like you had Adobe Reader installed at one time - and if that's true, PDFs would have opened both in Safari and in Firefox within the scope of the browser window. That is not the default behavior for Firefox, although you can get a plugin that will force Preview to open PDFs in the Firefox window ("Firefox PDF Plugin for Mac OS X").

I really can't speak to Safari (I don't use it - and I could test, but at the moment I do have Adobe Reader installed), but someone else might be able to chime in.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
yzfmik

I currently have Adobe Reader & Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional. I have had them both since day 1.

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I currently have Adobe Reader & Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional. I have had them both since day 1.
Sounds like the browser plugin might be broken or disabled. Did you check your add-ins for each browser?

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

This is a bit dated, but gets into troubleshooting the plugins, have a look:

Display PDFs in Safari | Acrobat 8 | Mac OS X

QUOTE Thanks
yzfmik

I don't believe so, how would I do that. All I did was remove the adobepdfviewer plugin from the plug in folder. That forced the pdf's to download, but I really just want it the way it was before.

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I don't believe so, how would I do that. All I did was remove the adobepdfviewer plugin from the plug in folder. That forced the pdf's to download, but I really just want it the way it was before.
You might have missed this post, since I submitted right after my last reply. Have a look:

Unable to open/save pdf's in Safari or Firefox...

You need that plugin if you want them to be viewable inside the browser window.

QUOTE Thanks
yzfmik

I uninstalled Acrobat & I'm reinstalling in now, perhaps that will help.

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
QUOTE Thanks
yzfmik

Well after reinstalling Acrobat, it now downloads the PDF when you click on it, then opens it in Preview when you click on the downloaded file. I assume this is how Mac's behave out of the box? I can live with it, just am frustrated that I can't figure it out. My MacBook's still open pdf's in Safari.

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Try the solution suggested here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
QUOTE Thanks
yzfmik

Thank you VERY much chas, that solved the problem! I'll save that link so if it ever happens again I can fix it.

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
QUOTE Thanks
emagnotti

emagnotti is on a distinguished road

I am unable to save PDFs in Safari. I tried the fix listed by chas_m, but it did not work. I have Safari 5.1.5 and Adobe Reader 10.1.3.

I would appreciate any help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wanting to reinstall osx 10.7 | Strange behaviour at startup »