New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lost searches in Mail and Address book

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Donethat

Donethat is on a distinguished road

It is no longer possible to search my address book on my iMac. When you enter a search in the search box and hit return it will just jump to the next entry in the address book. Added to this occasionally when entering a search each key press is doubled. So a search for david would result in 'ddaavviidd'. That particular fault is normally cleared by restarting the computer.

I have had the search problem with Address book for a while. The reason I am more even more concerned is now I can't search 'Entire Message' in Mail, though the other search functions seem to be fine.

Spotlight is working correctly.

I have tried resetting Parameter RAM but this isn't possible either via the Alt+CMD+P+R method. I know how to do this correctly as the method works fine on clients machines, just neither of my computers. It should be noted that they have been cloned off each other.

I don't know whether these issues are related or not but I would really love to resolve them.

Donethat
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Resetting the PRAM - NVRAM should work provided you're doing it correctly. This from the Apple KB:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

I don't know whether correctly resetting the PRAM will cure your search problem with address book but it may help to speed things up somewhat. It's possible your address book is corrupt and causing the search errors to occur.
QUOTE Thanks
Donethat

Donethat is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply.

I had thought that too about resetting the PRAM.

Unfortunately that is another problem, I can't on this machine. No problem on other macs, just this one. Is there another way to reset the PRAM?

Crispin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New MacBooks, default Lion? | Install preview app? »