New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Unix Executable Font Files in Trash as Recovered Files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wick98

wick98 is on a distinguished road

We just recently had our first iMac replaced because it was terribly defective. It started with a spinning noise at the back left, which kept getting louder and more prevalent, with a clicking noise that showed up later on. Then, the spinning wheel would continually come on every little while, preventing us from using it. That got worse and more prevalent, lasting anywhere from 30 seconds to even fifteen minutes once.

The Apple Store put a new logic board into it, but that didn't fix it, so they gave us a new computer, which is working fine thus far. I'm trying to take great care of it and hoping to keep all of the files managed well.

That leads me to this issue. I turned the computer on the other day and went to delete some images I'd downloaded for use in articles I write. That was when I noticed that there was a recovered files folder in the trash, with a bunch of font files. They're all listed as unix executable files and I have no idea of what that means.

I haven't emptied the trash because I don't know what they are and/or what I should do with them. There's a ton, representing what I assume is each font type on the system.

I didn't do anything to delete them or alter the font files and I don't think anyone in my family would have. My father and cousin were on the computer, but I don't think they would have done anything to it to result in deletion of the font files or anything.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

unix executable is what OS X calls files that it doesn't otherwise recognize. I've never seen your specific issue, but I'm going to speculate that an application that uses fonts crashed. OS X puts unsaved files, including temp files and caches into a recovered files folder after a restart.
First thing I would do - get Onyx and use it to repair the hard drive and clean caches, and do other maintenance:
Titanium's Software • Download

Check if all your fonts are OK, then empty the trash if they are.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
unix executable is what OS X calls files that it doesn't otherwise recognize.
Not quite. OS X is a Unix based operating system and in Unix, files can be executable. This has to do with the permissions on a file. A user can have any combination of the following three privileges - read, write and execute. You can set certain files to have executable permissions for certain users. So, OS X recognizes them when it says that and it is in essence telling you that it is an executable file. Just a tip.

wick98, this article should explain what that folder is and why it's in the Trash.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
wick98, this article should explain what that folder is and why it's in the Trash.
Hmmm, I don't think we have answered the OP's question about what it means when font files, in the recovered files folder, are shown as "unix executable." I know my answer was an over-generalization - what's the real answer? It may have something to do with permissions - corrupted or wrongly saved permissions. I've seen this same situation a couple of times. Sorry now I didn't look at the permissions and just emptied the trash.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

The article I linked to explains it. As noted in the article:
Quote:
The recovered files are temporary files used by Mac OS X applications. Usually temporary files are deleted by an application when it no longer needs them. If an application quits unexpectedly, the temporary files may not be deleted by the application. When you restart your computer, Mac OS X moves these temporary files to the Trash.
The fonts may have simply had the permissions set as executable by the application that was using them. Whatever applications didn't clean up its temp files is probably responsible for it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
wick98

Thanks for the replies.

I took a look at the article and am still confused, to be completely honest. I understand the theory behind why it does it, and have had a Mac for several years now (MacBook Pro.) So, I've had practice in deleting them and/or saving them.

What should I do with this file folder though? Delete it? Restore it? I don't want to get rid of the fonts for a program, nor do I want to have a random unnecessary fonts folder on my computer that I'm trying to keep in good file management.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Have you had an application crash recently that uses fonts? If so, check to see if everything is fine. If so, you're probably ok getting rid of them.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
wick98

Not to my knowledge. I haven't had issues with it while I've been using the computer. I'm the one who uses it the most, but a couple of other people have been on it for a little while.

I can't really find out because one moved out.

Any way I can run a diagnostic to check? Or find out where these files link to?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
WhiskeyJack

WhiskeyJack is on a distinguished road

I just got a new MacBook Pro. It's actually my first Mac, and I'm loving it!!

I opened my Trash and saw a folder called "Recovered files". When I open it, it looks like it contains fonts.

I never trashed this folder. I don't know where it came from. It just appeared in the Trash. I was wondering why this occurred, and if it's safe for me to empty the Trash with this folder?

If not, what should I do?

Thank you!
Jack
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Wow, first and second threads in the section.

Unix Executable Font Files in Trash as Recovered Files

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Merged threads - same question.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
WhiskeyJack

Sorry, guys. I didn't see the original post.

I'm surprised that this issue seems unknown. I've only had my MacBook Pro for a few days, and I'm a bit dismayed that I'm already experiencing an "issue" with the Mac. I did install a few programs and I've already had to do a software update, so not sure what caused this.

I'll review the applications to make sure everything is running correctly.
QUOTE Thanks
WhiskeyJack

I found a post on another forum. They're claiming that this Recovered Files folder of fonts has to do with Office 2011 and the SP1 update fixed it.

I actually did install Office 2011 yesterday, although it was updated to SP1. But it may be related to Office 2011. I'll empty the trash and see if any issues arise.
QUOTE Thanks
wick98

I installed Office 2011 as well. Seems like a common link then.

So, it's safe to just delete 'em?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

To the both of you.... Yes, this is a common occurrence with Office 2011 and as far as I know, SP-1 did not fix it. It has more to do with temporary files that are created by Office 2011 each time it runs. For some reason they do not get deleted by Office and wind up in the trash. This is an annoyance but should (hopefully) be fixed in a future update. For more info you can go the MS Mac Office forum and read about it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble accessing parentlock "A copy of Firefox is already open" | Snow Leapord OS X Reading material suggestions please »