New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Snow leopard restore without discs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kylemalco

kylemalco is on a distinguished road

Im a newbie here found the site through google, there where a few posts along the lines of what I was looking, but not quite.

I bought a macbook pro 13inch of ebay about 8 months ago and its running well problem is it didnt come with any discs and now I am looking to sell it on to upgrade.

Is it possible to completely clean all my details from the macbook by adding a new admin user and deleting my user?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

It's not the ideal way to go but yes, you can do that.
You also have other options (as it is always better to sell with original media).
Best option is to call Apple 800 number, and for around $20 they will send you out replacement discs.
Other option is to purchase Snow Leopard for $29. Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

http://www.apple.com/contact/
QUOTE Thanks
kylemalco

kylemalco is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help I will phone apple uk and see if I can order the disc
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

Note that the SL retail disc will not work if it is a 2010 or 11 computer

Yes that is a grizzlycorn
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurstmw View Post
Note that the SL retail disc will not work if it is a 2010 or 11 computer
I bought a used mbp mid-2010 one, the seller has the SL retail disc, and not the original disks, yet when i installed the retail one, no problem.
Can you clarify a bit ?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
I bought a used mbp mid-2010 one, the seller has the SL retail disc, and not the original disks, yet when i installed the retail one, no problem.
Can you clarify a bit ?
It depends partially on the version of SL that shipped with the machine and the version of SL on the retail disc. It has to do with driver availability. The original retail discs will not install on 2010 Macs and the current ones will not install on 2011 models. As every 2010 & 2011 Mac shipped with SL and a SL disc was included, there was no reason for the drivers for those models to be included on the retail discs.

You have a Mac that shipped with SL, you really need the original discs. You takes your chances with a retail version that may not work.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
It depends partially on the version of SL that shipped with the machine and the version of SL on the retail disc. It has to do with driver availability. The original retail discs will not install on 2010 Macs and the current ones will not install on 2011 models. As every 2010 & 2011 Mac shipped with SL and a SL disc was included, there was no reason for the drivers for those models to be included on the retail discs.

You have a Mac that shipped with SL, you really need the original discs. You takes your chances with a retail version that may not work.
Thanks.
For future reference the best bet will be to get from Apple the replacement disks instead of retail ones ?
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
Thanks.
For future reference the best bet will be to get from Apple the replacement disks instead of retail ones ?
Not necessarily. If they work with your computer then than is great and it dosent really matter which you have. And the retail has much more versatility. The retail version might lack some of the apple hardware tests though (Im not sure).

But if a computer was shipped with 10.5 and some one offered me the SL retail discs or the original disc I would go with the SL discs (not sure why I would have to choose between the two though).

But hopefully you get what I am trying to say.

Yes that is a grizzlycorn
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurstmw View Post
Not necessarily. If they work with your computer then than is great and it dosent really matter which you have. And the retail has much more versatility. The retail version might lack some of the apple hardware tests though (Im not sure).

But if a computer was shipped with 10.5 and some one offered me the SL retail discs or the original disc I would go with the SL discs (not sure why I would have to choose between the two though).

But hopefully you get what I am trying to say.
You would be missing out on iLife and the hardware test.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Voice recognittion ??? | 10.3.9 Loops/fails in Finder on boot »