New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

USB port drawing too much power HELP?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jackw

jackw is on a distinguished road

please forgive me if i have post this in the wrong place, literally just made this account.

basically i keep getting these annoying messages on my mac about the USB drawing to much power.

"USB port drawing too much power.
The device that is plugged into it will be deactivated"

all i have plugged in is a logitech mouse, and my charger (both of which are plugged in pretty much all day.)

three main questions really,
1) how to i stop the annoying messages which keep popping up?
2) what is actually happening?
3) and when the message appears, the mouse stops working for a few seconds then works again after a click - how do i keep it working?

thanks alot, jack
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

The amount of power drawn by the Logitech mouse is very small and should not cause that message to appear. It's likely occurring from your charger that you have plugged in. What kind of charger is it that you have to have it plugged into a USB port all day?

You can cause serious damage to your machine if you continue to overdraw the USB power it can supply. I suggest removing the charger and plug it in elsewhere or buy a powered USB hub and use that instead.
QUOTE Thanks
metalheart

metalheart is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, Intel, 2.8 GHz, 4GB

What kind of a Mac is it? iMac? MacBook? If it is a MacBook, is it dented anywhere around the USB ports?
QUOTE Thanks
jackw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The amount of power drawn by the Logitech mouse is very small and should not cause that message to appear. It's likely occurring from your charger that you have plugged in. What kind of charger is it that you have to have it plugged into a USB port all day?

You can cause serious damage to your machine if you continue to overdraw the USB power it can supply. I suggest removing the charger and plug it in elsewhere or buy a powered USB hub and use that instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
What kind of a Mac is it? iMac? MacBook? If it is a MacBook, is it dented anywhere around the USB ports?

thanks for both getting back for me.
i have the charger plugged in the majority of the day, but its the mouse causing the problems

and this is the type of macbook i have
Google Image Result for http://brain.pan.e-merchant.com/5/5/05306955/g_05306955.jpg

and there is no dents.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
thanks for both getting back for me.
i have the charger plugged in the majority of the day, but its the mouse causing the problems
As a test, why don't you disconnect the charger for awhile and only use the mouse? Let's see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
jackw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
As a test, why don't you disconnect the charger for awhile and only use the mouse? Let's see what happens.
i've just done this using the mouse plugged in and having the charger out
the message still appears.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Well then, it appears your mouse is defective. I've never seen any kind of mouse overdraw power from a USB port. It's usually devices like chargers and iPods (especially an iPad) that cause that error to appear. The solution is to buy another mouse. Any USB mouse should work with your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OSX Server - View Name of Deleted file | usb drive says full but isn't, and trash is empty »