New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lexar Flash Drive pleaseeee help!!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fiend0395

Fiend0395 is on a distinguished road

I have a mac book pro, which i got about 6 months ago, and whenever i insert my lexar jump drive into the computer, it acts as if nothing is in the usb slot. i dont know how to fix. please help!!! thanks you!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend0395 View Post
I have a mac book pro, which i got about 6 months ago, and whenever i insert my lexar jump drive into the computer, it acts as if nothing is in the usb slot. i dont know how to fix. please help!!! thanks you!
The jump drive may be defective, or the USB port may be defective. Have you tried plugging it into another USB port? Does it work on another computer? Have you tried using anything else in that USB port?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Fiend0395

the usb has worked on other computers, and i have gotten other flash drives to work on my mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
the usb has worked on other computers, and i have gotten other flash drives to work on my mac.
Ok. Plug in the jump drive, then run Disk Utility. What does it tell you about the drive?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

And which EXACT jump drive do you have? Model name/number...

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Fiend0395

name: Lexar USB Flash Drive Media
serial #: TTJ0XUJZ0B6XD1X2DXNI
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
name: Lexar USB Flash Drive Media
serial #: TTJ0XUJZ0B6XD1X2DXNI
Still need to know which model Jump Drive it is. They make a lot of different ones. V10, S70, TwistTurn, Firefly, etc etc etc.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Fiend0395

its the twist turn. btw thank you so much for the help
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Have you opened the Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities? Does the drive show up there?
QUOTE Thanks
Fiend0395

yes it did
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
yes it did
Ok. Well the drive is compatible out-of-the-box with Mac OS X, and since Disk Utility can see it, you should be able to format it.

ALTHOUGH… if Disk Utility can see it, then I'm wondering why nothing, or why you think nothing, is happening. When you insert the drive, does it show up in the Finder, on the left-side of the window with your other drives?

In Disk Utility, select the drive, click on the Partition tab, then tell us how the drive is formatted (FAT32, NTFS, HFS+, etc).

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Fiend0395

Ms-dos (fat)
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Ms-dos (fat)
And the answer to my other question is…. ???

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Fiend0395

it doesnt show up in finder
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Ok. So Disk Utility does see it, Finder doesn't. DU says it's formatted in FAT so the Finder should be seeing it. My only suggestion at the moment is to re-format it. If you still need to share it with Windows PCs, use FAT32. If not, use Mac OS Extended (Journaled), aka HFS+.

EDIT: BTW… I just had a thought. Is there any chance there the thumb drive is encrypted? I have no personal experience with encryption software, but without that software installed, I'm wondering if that would explain why the Finder can't see the drive.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't see all files on network folder | ISO burn - "The disc drive is busy...." »