New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

New macbook pro, osx lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaskaeyes

jaskaeyes is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Imac, 15" Macbook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7

Hi there guys,
First, apologies if I posted this at the wrong category.

Here's my question. I am getting a new macbook pro next month. I just would like to know if some of you know if OSX Lion is coming out next month? It says, it's coming out in summer.
If it is, do you guys think that if I buy a new macbook, it will have the new OS installed?
I got the money for the mbp and everything is ready, all I'm really waiting for is the new OS.
Do you guys have any suggestions for me? Should I wait or should I just get it now?

Many thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Nobody but Apple know when Lion will be released, so your guess is as good as ours

If you have the money and you can't wait, buy the MBP now and upgrade to Lion when it is released.

To me, it doesn't make sense to wait ( for an undefined period of time )

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
jaskaeyes

hi McBie. I guess your're right mate. I might as well get it. I just cant wait anymore.

Thanks for your input.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all

No worries .... enjoy.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
jaskaeyes

Sorry Mcbie, I should've asked you. Do you think I will get a free upgrade to OSX Lion if it comes out within the next 2 months? I heard something like that but I can't verify.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

Don't know to be honest ....

Based on Apple's history with new OS releases, it might be the usual 129 USD.
Then again, only Apple know.

Cheers ... McBie

QUOTE Thanks
jaskaeyes

Cheers mate.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskaeyes View Post
Sorry Mcbie, I should've asked you. Do you think I will get a free upgrade to OSX Lion if it comes out within the next 2 months? I heard something like that but I can't verify.

Thanks in advance.
I highly doubt it. Maybe if it was within 2 days, but even that would be up to the discretion of the Apple Store manager.

Lion is to be released in the Summer and the first day of Summer for 2011 is June 21. SOURCE
It could be as late as late September before Lion comes out. Up to you if you want to (possibly) wait that long.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
jaskaeyes

MYmacROX - really? Wow I don't think I can wait that long to be honest. I was going to wait one more week and hope it comes out next week. If it's in end of June/September, then I think I will just get it this week.
Cheers for your input MYmacROX.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskaeyes View Post
MYmacROX - really? Wow I don't think I can wait that long to be honest. I was going to wait one more week and hope it comes out next week. If it's in end of June/September, then I think I will just get it this week.
Cheers for your input MYmacROX.
Yupp..."Summer" usually means anytime from late June to late September. It doesn't mean that's what will really happen...but that would be (according to Apple) the "launch window".

As others have mentioned...if you need the computer now...buy it now. Don't try to second guess Apple when they will launch something. If you're REALLY trying to get OS 10.7 "Lion" for free...then wait for the launch.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

I'm personally waiting for lion I'm gonna make a pretty hefty purchase and I don't really want the added expense In a few months of a os. I'm already gonna have to buy an update for my MBP
QUOTE Thanks
jaskaeyes

pigoo3- yes mate, that's my dilemma. I want to get a free OSX lion. I saw the preview and it looks great. But waiting that long I will not get a lot of work done. Yeah I know what you mean about not second guessing the launch. I guess it's impossible for them to release it this week.

RustProofCorn - We're both on the same boat. It'd be great to have a new OS. I'm currently using snow leopard and it's really good, no problems at all. But the temptation of getting a new macbook is too much. I've been saving this long, everything's ready, except for Lion. Call me silly but I already saved a Booq vyper and a laptop lock in my ebay wishlist and might order them this week haha.
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

The apple developer conference is june 6-10. They may announce the date then. Also if you have bought a mac extremely recently apple often offers a cheaper upgrade to the OS. (I think its only like 20 bucks or something). Probably would have to be within ~2weeks of Lion being released.

Yes that is a grizzlycorn
QUOTE Thanks
jaskaeyes

Hi thurstmw - yes I heard something like that mate. That's actually why I am thinking of just getting the macbook now, and maybe get the new OS later with the discount if they will give me one. If not, I'll stick with snow leopard for a while.
Cheers man.
QUOTE Thanks
jaskaeyes

Hey guys, just thought you should know. I made the move and bought the Macbook pro 15" model and I'm really happy with it.
Thanks to you McBie, MYmacROX, pigoo3, RustProofCorn, thurstmw for all your inputs.
It actually helped me decide to buy this now rather than waiting for the new OS.

Cheers.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creating un-deleteable file | Mobile Me Trash File Gone... »