Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Another "My Mac is slow" problem
    Greetings. My Mac is slow. I am close to throwing it in the trash. Intel iMac5 that originally came with Tiger and has since been upgraded to Snow Leopard and 2GB of additional ram. Updates take forever. I get the spinning pinwheel all the time; click a menu item=delay, then pinwheel, then it'll finally open. Sometimes I will get the pinwheel just by moving the mouse pointer. I have deleted the caches, verified the volume, run the SMART utility, etc. I broke down and purchased some program called DiskToolsPro, mostly so I could defrag the hard drive. 48 hours later, it was still defragging at a snails pace, so I quit the utility. I am at wits end with this machine. Does anyone know how I can resolve this so I can again enjoy using my Mac?
    Thanks in advance, BrianCN.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    What did the SMART Utility say about the drive? Have you checked resource allocation in Activity Monitor? Specifically how memory is allocated?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    did you verify & repair, or just verify?

also, do you experience long boot times?
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

SMART utility said the drive was OK. I am looking at the Activity Monitor, but I don't exactly understand your question. I am baffled by software and terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
    did you verify & repair, or just verify?

also, do you experience long boot times?
    I don't remember if I repaired or not. I could do it again. It takes longer to boot than I would like it to.

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    What did the SMART Utility say about the drive? Have you checked resource allocation in Activity Monitor? Specifically how memory is allocated?
    System memory says: 1.98GB free, 291.2MB wired, 369.9MB active, 384.8MB inactive, 1.02GB used. If that is what you're asking.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    This is a guess, but even though SMART utility said there were no issues, remember that SMART utility reads the SMART status of the drive. I have seen many hard drives that were dying but did NOT fail in the SMART test.

Also boot with the OSX DVD that came with your machine. Hold down the D key right after the startup sound. Run the advanced test. See if anything comes back with an error.

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Do you have plenty of free space on your HD?

Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    Do you have plenty of free space on your HD?
    Yes. 59GB free. Currently running the hardware test.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianCN View Post
    System memory says: 1.98GB free, 291.2MB wired, 369.9MB active, 384.8MB inactive, 1.02GB used. If that is what you're asking.
    You said 2GB of additional memory, if you already has 2GB, then Activity Monitor should've reported 4GB..

In Activity Monitor, you want to try to do an activity that causes the pinwheel and the delays and then look at which task (line) is taking up the most "% CPU" which indicates where all your processor power is going..

You might want to first click on the "% CPU" twice to ensure that the down (descending) arrow is shown which will bring up the worst CPU hog to the top.

Regards

No Trouble Found on the extended hardware test.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    You said 2GB of additional memory, if you already has 2GB, then Activity Monitor should've reported 4GB..

In Activity Monitor, you want to try to do an activity that causes the pinwheel and the delays and then look at which task (line) is taking up the most "% CPU" which indicates where all your processor power is going..
    You might want to first click on the "% CPU" twice to ensure that the down (descending) arrow is shown which will bring up the worst CPU hog to the top.

Regards
    The machine came with 1GB, and was expandable to a maximum of 3GB. I will take a look at the Activity monitor.

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    I was just thinking, if the defrag (which you quit) took so long, it really points to a failing HD, but a quick test to see if it's account related would be a good idea.
    Set up a new user account and test it.
    If it is the same in the new account, since you were willing to give the defrag so long, an hour or so backing up with time machine, clean install and restore from time machine (quick way to defrag) could be worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    I was just thinking, if the defrag (which you quit) took so long, it really points to a failing HD, but a quick test to see if it's account related would be a good idea.
    Set up a new user account and test it.
    If it is the same in the new account, since you were willing to give the defrag so long, an hour or so backing up with time machine, clean install and restore from time machine (quick way to defrag) could be worth a shot.
    re; new user account...test it how? I don't use time machine, and at the rate that this thing moves, I have no confidence that it would ever finish backing up. BTW, the restart from the Hardware test is just sitting there with a blank white screen.

I really appreciate the time you're all taking with this.

Specs:
    For one, I hope that you have some form of backup going on, because it's not looking good if you are stuck on the white screen.
    If you can get it to boot, first thing I would do is backup your HD.
    Next up.... new user, although I think it is a waste of time, go to , system preferences, accounts (click the lock and put in your password), click the + and add a new account.
    Go back to the , log out, and log back in as the new user.

Thread Information