New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Red X to close program doesnt work

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DeNnZ

DeNnZ is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

Since quiet a while I have a small problem with the Red X in the upper left corner of a window.

When I want to close a window, I click on the red X, but sometimes it does not respond to the click and nothing happens. What I need to do then in order to get it to work, I have to take my cursor off of the red X and back on it again and click, sometimes this works and sometimes I need to repeat this step in order to close that window.. (and this is for all windows no matter what application I am using)

Does anybody have any idea whats wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Rademaker
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

First thing you might want to do is try using another pointing device. Test with another mouse - any mouse should work as long as it's USB connected.
QUOTE Thanks
DeNnZ

Just tested with an USB mouse, same problem...
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Does only the clicking on the red X not take or does clicking on other places also require multiple clicks?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

When was the last time you repaired permissions and/or restarted your Mac? Did you notice this starting after you installed anything new or was it just random?

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
DeNnZ

@Razoredge;

I dont know, I actually never use the - or + button, when the problem is there again, I will try.

@Schweb;

I just repaird permissions today (what does it actually do?), It seemed random, but I cant tell for sure..

Thanks for your help this far!
QUOTE Thanks
andymac2210

andymac2210 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.

I actually have the same problem, sometimes the red x just doesn't respond (same with the yellow/green buttons) and I need to click somewhere else then click it again.

Tried different mouses and happens with the trackpad (always has happened, figured it was just one of those quirks).
QUOTE Thanks
Lizzy Borden

Lizzy Borden is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac osx 10.5.8

I get a similar problem with the chess game. The red button isn't even red. I have to go to chess>quit. It's been like that for ages.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Advice: Stop using the red button. For anything.

This is a bad habit left over from Windows. On the Mac, the red button (inconsistently) closes a program's WINDOW, and generally doesn't actually quit the program. There are some exceptions to this (shakes fist at Apple) but generally speaking this is how it works.

So, instead of the red button, learn to properly quit the program. There are multiple ways to do this: command-q, Application menu -> Quit, click and hold on the dock icon, choose quit, etc.

Back in the olden days when programs took forever to get going, it made sense to leave programs open. These days, opening a program from scratch should take maybe 2 seconds, or 1 second if you have previously opened the program during this session. So when you're not using a program, it's a "best practice" to properly quit it -- particularly if you don't have an excessive amount of RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
DeNnZ

Excuse me for my delayed answer,

The problem is not really 'closing' the program, but for example closing a window or such..

It is really annoying that when you hove your mouse over the red ball with the X and you hit the mouse button, it won't do anything..

Any other suggestions?

Remember: problem is on trackpad as well as normal mice
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I refer you back to my previous post.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNnZ View Post
Excuse me for my delayed answer,

The problem is not really 'closing' the program, but for example closing a window or such..

It is really annoying that when you hove your mouse over the red ball with the X and you hit the mouse button, it won't do anything..

Any other suggestions?

Remember: problem is on trackpad as well as normal mice
This is an interesting problem. With all due respect to chas, I strongly disagree that this should be disregarded just because keyboard combos work. It's aberrant behavior and could be a sign of other issues.

Actually let me ask… does using CMD-W close the window the first time you try it, or does it require multiple attempts like clicking does?

Try using Onyx to see if any of its cache cleaning utilities may help here. If not, boot from your install DVD and verify the disk, repair disk if need be.
Mac OS X - Using Disk Utility to Repair a Disk

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
DeNnZ

Thanks for your answer,

Yes cmd+W does the job in the first try...

I have to MBP's and both have the problem, but let me check that!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

lifeisabeach:

In my experience with Macs, the reason I usually suggest people simply stop using the red "close" button (besides the reasons I outlined above) are:

1. For some users, their eyesight isn't as good as it once was, and the exact place you have to click the red button (and the part of the mouse where this will actually register) is very small. Some of us aren't as good at it as perhaps younger people are.

2. If the window in question is not in "focus," clicking the red button (even precisely) doesn't ALWAYS work. Call this a bug in OS X if you want, but it happens.

The fact that CMD-W works for the OP tells me nothing is amiss with the system in this regard.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I pretty much gave up using all of those stupid buttons about 4 years ago. They are not consistent with every application. Don't ask me why - don't have a clue.

The red button quits some apps but not others. The maximize button takes some apps full screen but not others. What kind of screwed up deal is that? And yeah, yeah, I haven't been around this long and not heard of the "it only maximizes it to the size it takes to view the whole thing" answer.

Some apps the red button just quits the window and leaves the app open, while with others, it quits the program. What kind of screwed up thing is this Apple? And yes, it's not only 3rd party apps, it's Apple's own applications that do not consistently do the same thing here. Try using that red button on Disk Utility if you haven't run into the problem.

Sorry, I've got better things to do than try to figure out what that red button does (and remember it or keep a written list to look it up) on all 200+ apps I have on my Mac.

If I want to quit an app now, I use one of the 3 methods chas noted.

Most of the time, however, I do not want to quit the app, I just want the window off my screen. For this, a double click on the top bar of the window does it. And it does it exactly the same in every app. Plus, it's a lot bigger area to hit than one of those little bitty buttons.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« App Store is Empty...?? | "Watch Me Do" feature in Automator not working in Lion? »