New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

I need to mount a .iso file at startup.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

treyweez11

treyweez11 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB

Im not sure where to put this, sorry if its in the wrong area. I need to mount a win 7 .iso at startup. My dvd drive is broken and i cant install bootcamp. I mounted the .iso while the mac was still running and bootcamp recongized it but when it restarted to continue the installation it doesn't work. Is there any program out there that will let you mount .iso's or .dmg's at startup? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Where'd you get the ISO from?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyweez11 View Post
Im not sure where to put this, sorry if its in the wrong area. I need to mount a win 7 .iso at startup. My dvd drive is broken and i cant install bootcamp. I mounted the .iso while the mac was still running and bootcamp recongized it but when it restarted to continue the installation it doesn't work. Is there any program out there that will let you mount .iso's or .dmg's at startup? Thanks in advance.
Nope. Boot Camp requires that there be a physical disc in the drive. Fortunately, replacing your broken drive isn't terribly complicated:

iFixit: The free repair manual

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
treyweez11

Mac Specs: Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Where'd you get the ISO from?
I bought it from amazon and then made an iso image of it on my pc. Not pirated.
QUOTE Thanks
treyweez11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Nope. Boot Camp requires that there be a physical disc in the drive. Fortunately, replacing your broken drive isn't terribly complicated:

iFixit: The free repair manual
What I'm gonna do is install windows 7 through boot camp on my brother's MacBook pro and then use win clone to back it up and then restore it to my personal Mac. Does that sound good?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Someone more familiar with Windows 7 can clarify this but I bet that Windows will see the two systems as different. In short, it will think you are trying to activate the same copy of Windows on two different computers the same time.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyweez11 View Post
What I'm gonna do is install windows 7 through boot camp on my brother's MacBook pro and then use win clone to back it up and then restore it to my personal Mac. Does that sound good?
You can give it a try but it's probably not going to work because of the hardware difference between your brother's MBP and your MB. Make sure that when you install it on your brother's machine that you do not activate it. You can use Windows 7 for up to 30 days without activating.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You can give it a try but it's probably not going to work because of the hardware difference between your brother's MBP and your MB. Make sure that when you install it on your brother's machine that you do not activate it. You can use Windows 7 for up to 30 days without activating.
I think it will be OK as long as there is no difference in HALs. Between two MacBook Pros with similar Intel chipsets, I doubt it will be a big deal. I would echo your advice though to not enter your Product ID (skip it), which will put it in "demo" mode, but then activate it once all the drivers have been configured on the other machine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
treyweez11

Thanks for all of you guys advice!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder Places question | Phantom modifier-key changer on the prowl »