New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

HELP! iMac 2010 i3 won't recognise firewire equipments

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slight

slight is on a distinguished road

Hi all. This is an urgent help request regarding the firewire connection problem of an iMac purchased in 2010, running iOS 10.6.7, i3 3.06G 21inch model. This model has only one firewire 800 port.

I'm a professional photographer still working on film, and I regularly scan films using my Epson V700 (it's rather fast).

If I connect the scanner via USB, it works; but if I connect it via a 800-400 convert to the iMac's 800 port, there is nothing, it is not recognized.

I tried replacing the 800-400 cable to no avail. It seems that it's the iMac's 800 port that won't do anything.

I did plenty research on the internet and found several similar cases, there are guys who can't connect their HDD, or scanner. But I didn't find the answer.

So please could anyone tell me what to do next (except for calling apple for repair, I'd rather solve this problem myself since the service in France is rather slow).

Can I use the terminal to check the firewire port, or can I force it to install-uninstall drivers?

Same problem persists while I connect the V700 under bootcamp, windows xp won't recognize anything.

Do you guys believe it's a hardware failure?

Thank you very much!!
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Three questions - have you verified that the firewire port on the scanner works with another computer? And if you connect the scanner to the Mac, open System Profiler, and check under Firewire, is the scanner at least a visible device? Do you have a different Firewire device, such as a hard drive, you could use to verify the port on the iMac is bad?
QUOTE Thanks
groovepro

groovepro is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a 2010 imac that is driving me nuts.
In system report, under hardware>firewire, it shows:
FireWire Bus:
Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec

Which tells me that the FW bus is reading, but I have tried the two different FW audio devices that I have and neither one pops up in the Audio device manager.

I've tried two different cords, I also went to the local music store and plugged the same mixer with the same cable into their iMac and it popped right up.
Does this mean my FW port is bad?
Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Epson Printer/Driver Hell... | [iCloud] Transfer Content From Google/Dropbox »