New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How long should a macbook take to start

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

swoosta

swoosta is on a distinguished road

How long should a macbook take to start?
Mine used to fully start in about 25 seconds but now it's much slower maybe 1.5 - 2 minutes. Is this about right or how can I speed it up?
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Well depending on the specs of the machine, how old it is, what OS your running, what applications you have that start on login, how full your hdd is etc it could vary alot.

Check under System Prefs > Accounts > Login Items and remove anything you don't need/ want to start at login.

Upgrading RAM if possible could help alot.

Clearing up space on your HDD could also help if you have not got much space left.

Updating the OS if not already done could also help.

Hope some of these ideas help you out

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

In addition to Simon's good advice, perhaps the OP could give us more detail. How old is the MB? What specs of the MB? Free space, RAM, processor, etc. Then we'd have a good idea if that is normal or not.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It's impossible to tell what a standard or normal boot time is. Each machine has different configurations of hardware and a different number of processes being started at boot. As for why it's slower now - it would be the software loaded during boot most likely. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start experiencing really abnormal times.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosta View Post
How long should a macbook take to start?
Mine used to fully start in about 25 seconds but now it's much slower maybe 1.5 - 2 minutes. Is this about right or how can I speed it up?
My older iMac was starting to take a couple of minutes to start up, and I found that to be somewhat annoying.

I ran the most sophisticated de-fragmentation routines (you get a choice of several routines, based on how big a hurry you are in) in :

iDefrag ($30)
Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iDefrag

...and my iMac now starts up and is ready to go in 45 seconds flat, despite the fact that I have several logon programs set and a couple of other programs set to auto-launch.

But before you resort to trying iDefrag, I recommend that you do some more common routine maintenance first to see if that helps.

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing OS X 10.5 on an iMac running OS X 10.4.11 - won't work? | Weird Issue - Trying to Install OSX 10.5, 10.6 »