New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Will Macbook air 64gb run slower with Lion?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steviesteveo

steviesteveo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
In fact, yes.

And trust me, I have the hardware to test it on also. Everything from Blue and White G3 and old iMacs to modern Intel Macs.
I think that would be very, very cool to see written up. I still question why we have new computers at all, to be honest, if the current hardware can run new software faster than they ran the old software.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Because things improve. Software like Adobe gets more and more demanding. We are talking OS's here and whether Lion will run as fast or faster on the MBA then Snow Leopard. Some apps though do get more and more demanding, especially games. Also it's nice to take less and less time say converting a video or compiling something and the newer faster hardware sometimes take 1/2 hour off some tasks.

Like was said earlier, no one outside developers under an NDA have Lion, so anything we can say is just a guess at this point, but I see no reason why Lion will drag on that MBA.
QUOTE Thanks
steviesteveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Because things improve. Software like Adobe gets more and more demanding. We are talking OS's here and whether Lion will run as fast or faster on the MBA then Snow Leopard. Some apps though do get more and more demanding, especially games. Also it's nice to take less and less time say converting a video or compiling something and the newer faster hardware sometimes take 1/2 hour off some tasks.
The thing is, Adobe gets more and more demanding not (just) for shiggles but because it's doing more with the hardware. Each new version of Adobe's products have more features than previous ones. In marketing speak it's called "taking advantage of more powerful hardware". To my eyes Puma doesn't do nearly as much as Lion and that's why I'd suspect that, keeping the hardware the same, Lion might run somewhat slower than, say, Puma (of course, in practice, Lion runs on considerably more powerful hardware than Puma does) despite all the years of work that've gone into making it as efficient as they can.

Quote:
Like was said earlier, no one outside developers under an NDA have Lion, so anything we can say is just a guess at this point, but I see no reason why Lion will drag on that MBA.
Yeah, me neither. I think benchmarks will settle it for sure but I can't see much threat of it dragging. I can't imagine anything really making this drag.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviesteveo View Post
Doesn't this mean you never need to upgrade your computer?
Most people who buy Macs (an overwhelming majority) never DO upgrade their computer. The last time I looked into this, it was something north of 80 percent. And by "upgrade" I mean ANY SORT of upgrade, hardware or software. Once they've bought it, that's it until the day it dies or becomes intolerably awful, then they just replace it with a brand new one.

Quote:
I mean, if software gets more efficient with each version and how fast it runs doesn't depend on how big the software is, we seem to have gone from just asking if Lion runs slower than Snow Leopard on the MBA 11 to invalidating buying more than one computer in your life.
"Software" doesn't always get more efficient with each version, just Apple system software does. I can think of other operating systems that pointedly do not.

OTOH, we have to remember that we are constantly asking computers to do more things. What you were able to accomplish with 10.1 is nothing compared to what you can accomplish with 10.6.

But mostly, I don't see what you're really getting at, your conclusion doesn't seem to make any sense. How fact A (software tends to get more efficient with each version) and fact B (the size of a program doesn't necessarily have much impact on how quickly it operates) lead you to conclusion C ... I can't see any connection there.
QUOTE Thanks
steviesteveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
But mostly, I don't see what you're really getting at, your conclusion doesn't seem to make any sense. How fact A (software tends to get more efficient with each version) and fact B (the size of a program doesn't necessarily have much impact on how quickly it operates) lead you to conclusion C ... I can't see any connection there.
That's kind of the thing, I think the problem you're picking up there is that C (computers don't become obsolete because they can run larger, more efficient new software faster than the software they did when you bought them) is unrealistic.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Ah, yes, that helped me understand what he was getting at, Steviesteveo. While YES, older computer can -- for a while -- run newer software and thus become more efficient over time (at least with Macs this is the case), eventually the bottleneck moves to the processor or the RAM type or some other *hardware* factor to improve efficiency, so at that point they change processors dramatically enough (such as the change to Intel) that the software has to be written for it and not the older processors, necessitating a new(er) computers.

As an example, some iPhone apps won't run on my original 2G iPhone. Most still do, but some won't (and that number is increasing all the time). Why? Because my iPhone doesn't have a dual-core processor, dual cameras, more RAM and other requirements that more recent apps require.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how is lion installed | Onyx update question »