New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

os x static symlinks in /Volumes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TKmac

TKmac is on a distinguished road

Hi. Im new to osx SnowLeopard, but pretty god with linux and stuff in generel.

I have a linux box (debian 6) that serves as a nfs server.
My NFS share in etc/exports is../media/RAID5/disk

Objective!
I need R/W access from osx to the dataset on the nfs mount here... /Volumes/disk --- I dont what to change that...to much is set up for this location.

If I create a folder /Volumes/disk and map the nfs here, I don't get write/delete permisisons. Read only!

I have used drifferent tools to mount. First under disk-tool later with the nfs-manager 3.5. Read only in all tryes.

If I map the nfs to something like /users/MAC-user/disk it get full access. I geuss my user needs full access to the mountpoint...before the mount..which makes sense.

If I then create a simpel symlink from /users/MAC-user/disk to /Volumes/disk..and all is well.

My programes can access the nfs share from /Volumes/"disk" where "disk" is a symlink to /users/MAC-user/disk wich is the nfs mount point ;O)

BUT..the ##%&& symlink in /Volumes/disk is removed at reboot.

What can I do drifferent?

How do I get a static symlinks in /Volumes or how do I get full access to a nfs mountpoint under /Volumes

Please point me in the right direction..im stuck.

NB: I dont what dumb hacks and scripts that creats new symlinks at boot etc...I woud like to know how this is done correctly! If anyone knows please share ;O)

Thanks to all who will use 2 min of thir time to give some heads up on this issue.

Cheres.
QUOTE Thanks
TKmac

TKmac is on a distinguished road

Hi all.
This did the trick
Mac OS X: How to automatically connect to a server when you log in

I had tried with login items..but not like this exactly....

And afterwards..a hit on the symlink on my desktop with #t...apple +t...and the disk appeared under..Devises in Finder....great ;O)

TK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine help needed. | Installing OS X 10.5 on an iMac running OS X 10.4.11 - won't work? »