Please Help: Forgot Firmware password and I can't reset it
    Okay So I am Installing a new hard drive on my Macbook and reinstall Snow Leopard. But everytime I boot holding "Option" to select the drive I wish to boot from, it comes to a grey screen with the Lockpad on it and an option to enter a password. I have NO CLUE what that password would be.

So I did what everyone does, and went to google. I found some ways to reset it, such as booting Holding Command+Option+P+R And removing a RAM stick. No of these options worked.

Im getting scared that I am going to be SOL with a macbook and a new hard drive and have no way to install OS X on it.

P.S: I wish these things has a physical "reset" button on the logic board.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    If the method of removing one memory module did not work, you are out of luck. Is the MacBook a new one? Because that method does work on older model MacBooks and also for the older (pre 2010, 2011) MacBook Pro. It will not work on some 2010 and the 2011 models. Only an authorized Apple genius or dealer can reset those.

The only thing I can suggest is to take your purchase receipt with you and go to the nearest Apple store and ask for assistance.

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11
    Password Protection is installed on Macbooks etc used in colleges, schools etc to prevent theft. A reset button would defeat the purpose of the software. Personally think Password Protection is a huge danger to any computer if owners forget/don't know password.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    That's interesting. It sounds like you've got the Open Firmware password set - and that doesn't happen by accident. It takes a bit of doing to get it set in the first place.

So, tell us a bit more about this machine... like what is its history?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Thread Information