New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Rapid Decrease in Speed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IamaMac

IamaMac is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, New Member with a problem.

I have an iMac 11,Intel Core i5, recently moved over from Windows.

I have noticed a rapid decrease in the processing speed upon booting during the last few months, and during my day to day use of applications - mostly digital photography, miniDV programs. I do edit a lot of TIFF, PSD and RAW files in Photoshop and Digital Photo Professional as well as some Mini DV editing on iMovie. I first noticed the lethargic feeling occur around a few months ago when I was 'stabilizing' clips in iMovie.

As a result it started taking forever to pick up a piece on the timeline and move things or even play them back instantly. So I ended up deleting the whole project, which I think seemed to do the trick for a while, but it wasn't it's usual self.

Now I'm having the same slow problem, I assume this can only be with the Photoshop/ Digital Photo Professional route in which a lot of heavy files are layered and applied with a number of windows open at once.

Whilst I am considering an upgrade to my RAM, (currently using the 4GB standard) I wanted to check in with the experts and see whether the slow speed could be something else altogether.

I considered defragmenting, but I noticed there was something that said you didn't need to? I'm a little confused as to what's the best route. On a PC, I'd have probably gone down this route and checked what processes were running.

As I'm not 100 clued up on the Mac terminology of processes a few led me to this site with other examples of users mentioning keyloggers or slow speeds so thought I would post mine to see if anyone can help me work out if the problem is really just to do with the heavy workflow or something more serious.

Thankyou for your time, I appreciate any advice or support.

http://galleryxlondon.com/terminalhelp.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

How much memory do you have and what's going on in the system? How about hard drive space? How much have you used and what remains?

To find out what's going on in the system, open your Activity Monitor.app from Applications, Utilities. Look for any high percentage of usage of a running process or program.

Sometimes we forget apps that are in the Login folder, so take a look there also. System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

And are you running antivirus software by chance, or downloaded cleaning programs and/or one of the latest malware threats, MACProtrctor, MacDefender or MacSecurity?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
IamaMac

Thanks for the assistance.

In regards to space there is well over 500GB of HDD Space Remaining on a 1TB drive.
RAM is 4GB standard.

When Photoshop is on that seems to be the highest percentage aswell as Firefox.

Not using any antivirus or antispyware/malware/ad-aware softwares. Would it be wise to do so? I didn't think Mac's needed any.
What would be worth downloading in regards to this current issue?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Download the free OnyX maintenance and cleanup utility and run it. Read directions. Clean out the caches and generally follow what OnyX recommends.

As far as using any kind of AV or anti-malware software, that's entirely up to you, however, before doing so, be sure to read our Sticky regarding that same subject.
QUOTE Thanks
IamaMac

I will run the Onyx utility and report back.

In regards to the earlier post - I attach an example of my Activity Monitor. Bear in mind when Photoshop is on this the numbers fluctuate from 0.5 to about 53 % and becomes the most used application.

I can't see anything 'shady' in the monitor window, but maybe someone else can confirm this.

P.S. Also something I just figured out. Is it possible the decrease would occur due to a cluttered DESKTOP? Although Folders are Colour Coded and Organized, there is something like 40-50 on my Desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
P.S. Also something I just figured out. Is it possible the decrease would occur due to a cluttered DESKTOP? Although Folders are Colour Coded and Organized, there is something like 40-50 on my Desktop.
No doubt about it. Remove all the clutter from your desktop and let's see if things speed up somewhat.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamaMac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
No doubt about it. Remove all the clutter from your desktop and let's see if things speed up somewhat.
Agreed. For myself, there is no doubt. Keeping a bunch of stuff on your desktop is a big mistake related to keeping your machine running fast and smooth, no matter the OS you're running.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
andymac2210

andymac2210 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Agreed. For myself, there is no doubt. Keeping a bunch of stuff on your desktop is a big mistake related to keeping your machine running fast and smooth, no matter the OS you're running.
What is this, 1998?

Completely not true.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac2210 View Post
What is this, 1998?

Completely not true.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

QUOTE Thanks
andymac2210

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Not even going to explain why you think this is the case?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Not even going to explain why you think this is the case?
Based on my now 30 yrs experience using home computers, few years spent providing certified tech support, and still the guy to call when there's an issue needed at the office and for practically all my friends and family.

One of the common denominators of those that complain about their systems being slow is a cluttered desktop. I've seen it over and over again and I am far from being alone in this among those that provide tech support and/or computer repair.

I'll keep my desktop pretty clean, tyvm. If you don't experience system slow downs with 50-100 items or more sitting on your desktop, all I can say is go for it.

QUOTE Thanks
andymac2210

I don't want to be rude bobtomay, you provide great information on this forum in the many posts I've seen by you.
But I think what you're experiencing is confirmation bias, you've seen people who don't know how to maintain systems and at the same time clutter their desktop with every shortcut, folder and icon they use, their computers may be slow, but not as a consequence of this.
It's probably just incidental to their lack of care for their systems.

I too do tech for a living and i've never seen the number of desktop icons affecting the speed of the computer, except in older machines where the graphics chips are so old the draw time on the icons slows down (normally just at the startup) the computer, abeit briefly.

I have several sandbox systems, I run 3, 24" monitors and on these the desktops are a war zone of icons and folders, I notice no difference on these either.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Like I said, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
I too do tech for a living and i've never seen the number of desktop icons affecting the speed of the computer..
This isn't something that bobtomay made up. Anyone who has been doing support for many OS X users for a long time has seen it.

Here are some citations:

A simple but effective Mac speed-up tip - Mac OS X Hints

Top OS X tips | Utilities - Page 1 | Macworld

Performance tip: Keep the Desktop clutter-free (empty, if possible) | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...6994&tstart=60

Some discussion about it on my Web site:

OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting
Item# 8

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trackpad Question | Safari can't find youtube? »