New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Partitioning from Disk Utility without the Install Disks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MasterDogma

MasterDogma is on a distinguished road

Simply, I want to play some old 90s games on my G4 iMac with Mac OS X 10.5. They worked on my old G3 through Classic, but now since I don't have Classic, I need to find new way to do it.

Upon much searching and asking questions, I've concluded the following:

1.) Leopard doesn't support Classic.

2.) My G4 doesn't support Mac OS 9.

3.) I can partition my harddrive from Disk Utility and install an older version of Mac OS X to get OS 9 or Classic.

4.) "Partition failed with the error: Filesystem verify or repair failed."

5.) You can backup everything, repair and partition from the Disk Utility provided on the Leopard Install Disks.

6.) I can't backup everything (I have no external harddrive and Time Machine won't work on my G4), and I do not have the Leopard Install Disks.

I'd REALLY hate to give up after all my effort to play these stinkin' games on my increasingly obsolete Mac (we got Lion coming out already?), is there some way around this? Do I really need the disks? That seems like a major error.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

What G4 iMac do you have? They should all support OS9....

QUOTE Thanks
MasterDogma

MasterDogma is on a distinguished road

1.25 GHz PowerPC

Someone at Apple.com told me my computer's not compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Yeah, I think you are right. The early versions of that iMac supported OS9 but that one doesn't.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And you will not b able to install an older OS X than what your iMac came with. Like time, there is no going backwards.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Wait - I didn't notice you are using Leopard.....
(You did know you can use Classic on 10.4 without an OS 9 partition, and without being able to boot OS 9, right? So, you didn't say - can you set up a separate drive for 10.4? Then you'd have Classic. You'll need a working OS 9.1, 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 System Folder to copy to the 10.4 drive.)

Another wait :-) - I don't have an iMac G4 - can you boot from an external drive?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing Leopard | Mac turns back on »