New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

find command won't list keynote files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Straitsfan

Straitsfan is on a distinguished road

I entered the find command in Terminal to look for all the keynote presentations that started with the number 2011:
Code:
find . -iname "2011*.key" -type f

but I got no results. The files are in there -- I can see them in the finder window. Can anyone tell me why it won't do this? If I just enter the command without '-type f' then it lists the files. Are keynote presentations not files or something?

I'm in the correct directory as well
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Probably because you're specifying the type. As I recall, iWork documents are actually bundles. In other words, they're glorified folders. Since they're technically folders and you're specifying the type "regular file", it's possible it's skipping over them. Try using type d. Actually, you can probably get away with excluding type altogether.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost connection to my MyBook World II | OS X very slow after HDD upgrade »