Cannot upgrade old macbook from 10.4.1 to anything 10.5 or up
    Seeing as how the computer is only 5 years old about, it should still be able to support 10.5 with a 1.6ghz processor. I don't know too much about MAC, this is my girlfriends computer and we both just got new iphone 4's and I jailbroke them the same night. I just need to figure out how to upgrade her computer to 10.5 so we can get itunes 10 on her pc, cause 9 is the best you can get on 10.4

Now how would I go about this upgrade, is it like windows? Can I make a bootable flash drive and install from there or linux? Can I download the 10.5 dmg from demonoid or do I have to purchase it to proceed with this upgrade?

I'm pretty tech savvy, been customizing and fixing my own PC's forever. So I might need a little instruction, but im not clueless like a lot of people that post on any help forum lol.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrament View Post
    do I have to purchase it to proceed with this upgrade?
    Bingo.

Installing OS X Leopard 10.5 ~ Apple KB
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Well the cd drive is broken, is there a way to boot from a flash drive if I say already have 10.5 downloaded? Also my friend has a disc I believe. I cant actually purchase 10.5 from the store, they only have 10.6 snow leopard as far as I can see.

I'm thinking I'll either borrow the dvd or buy it for 29 bucks, format an 8gb flash drive and copy the dvd file over to the flash and see if it will launch, since her disc drive is shot. Should work, macbook air users have to be able to upgrade, right?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Well the cd drive is broken, is there a way to boot from a flash drive if I say already have 10.5 downloaded? Also my friend has a disc I believe. I cant actually purchase 10.5 from the store, they only have 10.6 snow leopard as far as I can see.
    You DO NOT have OS 10.5 downloaded. If you do it is illegal. OS 10.5 is ONLY available on original Apple OS 10.5 install DVD's. You can purchase an original OS 10.5 install disk from e-Bay.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    I'm thinking I'll either borrow the dvd or buy it for 29 bucks, format an 8gb flash drive and copy the dvd file over to the flash and see if it will launch, since her disc drive is shot. Should work, macbook air users have to be able to upgrade, right?
    No borrowing! You need to have you own OS install DVD. The computer you speak of with a 1.6 cpu (probably 1.67ghz) is a Powerbook G4 not a MacBook. Thus it is NOT capable of using the $29 dollar OS 10.6 OS install disk. The "highest" OS that can be installed on a Powerbook G4 with a 1.67ghz cpu is OS 10.5 (10.5.8)

Also (FYI) MacBook Air computers have a special external DVD drive available for purchase.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Where can I even get a copy of the 10.5 dvd, it's not on the site as far as I searched. Other people have successfully installed from flash.

Specs:
    Where can I even get a copy of the 10.5 dvd, it's not on the site as far as I searched. Other people have successfully installed from flash.
    In my post above...I mentioned e-Bay. I think that I've also heard of people calling Apple's "800" number & successfully getting it from Apple. They're charging the original retail price of $129.

If you're lucky, you can get it for a little less on e-Bay...but not by much (probably $100-$110 with shipping).

- Nick

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

BUY NOW. They are not the grey machine specific install disks so you could be on a winner there.
    Very cheap indeed. Have not seen 10.5 disks that cheap before.

Go get 'em

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information