New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How do i keep my new sandybridge imac running smoothly and snappy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JaeHokes

JaeHokes is on a distinguished road

I just bought my first iMac ever, and so far i'm loving everything about it, but I am a HUGE neat freak and obsessed with keeping my techno gadgets, computers, and iphone - clean, virus free, spyware free, and running in TIP TOP shape at all times - I have already downloaded Onyx, And Sophos Anti Virus - But im curious to know if theres any other applications that do other things that are necessary for my new iMac aside from the functions of these 2 applications and anyway to monitor and make sure theres no disk errors or fatal errors on my system - Im not the most knowledgeable about computers, i am better than average but if there are any things i could do to improve my iMacs performance or just know any useful applications/websites in general id GREATLY appreciate your help - Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
MancmacUK

MancmacUK is on a distinguished road

I've downloaded tens if not 100 of applications to do the same thing, I try them out, but on the whole I just let the supplied Apple software take care of my iMac, with no problems at all, several years now.

However, take a look at Tinkertools, this enables you to save screen grabs in .jpg format.
But use other parts of it cautiously.

The best thing to keep your iMac running smoothly, keep an eye on the various Mac Forums, and ask questions from the more experienced users, as you have done here, a good start.
One place to start, utilise keyboard shortcuts, the option key is the one by the space bar, with the apple on it. 

Buy an extra external hard disc drive, 500mb+, to use as a back up, utilising Apple's Time Machine. Helps you to revert if you tinker too much.

You'll never go back to a PC

 iMac 21.5" 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.8.3
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Don't fill your HDD beyond 75% or 80% capacity. Be sure you have plenty of RAM for the apps that you will be using. Get rid of Sophos. It's only gonna slow you down.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
JaeHokes

Thanks alot for the help guys, I'm definitaly gonna look into Tinkertools - And i am actually curious to know which is the best Web Browser to run on a Mac? Im debating between Chrome And Firefox
QUOTE Thanks
MancmacUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeHokes View Post
Thanks alot for the help guys, I'm definitaly gonna look into Tinkertools - And i am actually curious to know which is the best Web Browser to run on a Mac? Im debating between Chrome And Firefox
I actually prefer Camino, a cousin of Firefox.

Firefox has many extra add-ons, Chrome is still new, I don't like it.
There's something you cannot do in Chrome, but I can't remember what it is !

Found it, NO menu bar !

QUOTE Thanks
Command Alt Ego

Command Alt Ego is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5

This is not meant to be critical, but since you describe yourself as a neat freak who wants things not only clean but (I'm guessing) uncluttered, you really might rethink your decision to keep software like Sophos AntiVirus on your machine. There is practically no evidence that it's necessary -- and there is a lot of evidence that it can interfere with smooth running of your Mac. Unnecessary and potentially gunking up your fast beautiful iMac ... that's antithetical to your whole viewpoint!

Just an opinion. Congratulations on the iMac!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You should only need to run Onyx about once every 2-3 months max.
I just use the Automation tab and check off everything in the Maintenance and Cleaning sections.

And even after the escapades of last week, I still agree with the above post.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
JaeHokes

Its ok to be critical thats what i want! You have to understand im a lifetime PC user i dont know how to feel secure going on websites and downloading applications off megaupload or mediafire without having antivirus, is it really possible that Mac's are 99.9% safe from viruses? What is it about Macs rather than PC's that have hundreds of PC's that make them so immune to spyware Malware and viruses? Please explain fully if you have the time, id love to know and understand this operating system, why its so secure, and where you go to see new virus definitions for the Mac OS. I also downloaded Sophos cause it was a staff pick on apples downloads page on apple.com i thought it had to be legit!!

Also what do you guys think about the application Little Snitch? I have it not really sure what its doing i know i have to constantly allow programs to run but i know its watching something.

I really appreciate the help im just trying to get a feel for my mac, but you guys have given me some great answers, Thank You!
QUOTE Thanks
MancmacUK

Quote:

Also what do you guys think about the application Little Snitch? I have it not really sure what its doing i know i have to constantly allow programs to run but i know its watching something.

I really appreciate the help im just trying to get a feel for my mac, but you guys have given me some great answers, Thank You!
Little Snitch is an app that monitors you accessing the internet, and tells you when an app tries to "phone home"

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Its ok to be critical thats what i want! You have to understand im a lifetime PC user i dont know how to feel secure going on websites and downloading applications off megaupload or mediafire without having antivirus, is it really possible that Mac's are 99.9% safe from viruses? What is it about Macs rather than PC's that have hundreds of PC's that make them so immune to spyware Malware and viruses? Please explain fully if you have the time, id love to know and understand this operating system, why its so secure, and where you go to see new virus definitions for the Mac OS. I also downloaded Sophos cause it was a staff pick on apples downloads page on apple.com i thought it had to be legit!!

Keep in mind the App Store is designed to sell apps whether you need that app or not and you don't.
On the virus part every year more fud is spread and with Apple gaining in sales and popularity it gets worse.
1) OSX is built on the Unix Kernel which currently is the most secure.
2) You really have to go out of your way to install a virus by giving it your admin password install from trusted and legit sites.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
You should read this Sticky thread regarding malware and Mac security.
Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help required on the terminal | Memory stick »