New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS X very slow after HDD upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Butah P.

Butah P. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.53GHz Mid 2009, 4GB DDR3 1066MHz, 1TB WD Scorpio Blue 5200 RPM, OS X 10.6.7

I have a Macbook Pro (Mid 2009) 15" 2.53GHz running OS X 10.6.7. I have recently upgraded from 4GB (2x2GB) of RAM to 8GB (2x4GB Kingston DDR3 1066MHz SODimm). That upgrade went smoothly and without issue.

I purchased a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB 5200 RPM 8MB (WD10TPVT) to upgrade the 250GB drive that came standard. I used Winclone to copy my Bootcamp partition (Win XP Pro 32bit) to my external drive (WD My Book Essential) which I also use for Time Machine. I made sure to back up Time Machine as well to have a recent copy of my machine.

I swapped out the drives and booted from the Mac DVD that came with my MBP. I selected to restore the Time Machine back up and let that run. When it rebooted, I got the grey Apple screen with the swirling cog and it would not go past that and I let it run for well over an hour. I finally booted from the Mac DVD and went into Disc Utility. I Verified Permissions and came up with many issues. I had it correct permissions and let it reboot, but came up with the same issue.

I then restored an older back up from Time Machine and the same issue occurred. Finally, I reinstalled Snow Leopard and let it reboot. To my surprise, almost all my data was there, but I needed all the software updates.

After getting all those, my Macbook Pro is very sluggish to boot and every task is met with the beach ball. I restored my Windows partition and that works just fine. I've verified and corrected permissions once again, as well as verified the disk. The verified permissions comes up with more problems and it states it fixes them all.

I'm not really sure what to try next. I'm a real novice with OS X, as I am a Windows convert as of early 2010. Any and all help is appreciated. Hope I got all the info you might need.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

How about a clean install of OS X and then a Time Machine restore?

Make sure to select DU from the install disk to format the drive. This will kill the Windows partition.
QUOTE Thanks
Butah P.

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.53GHz Mid 2009, 4GB DDR3 1066MHz, 1TB WD Scorpio Blue 5200 RPM, OS X 10.6.7

I'm thinking that might be the route I need to go. Any other ideas?

A few harmless snow flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try resetting your PRAM-NVRAM before doing a clean install. See if that helps to speed things up somewhat.

Also, I'd like to point out that you're using a hard drive that is not recommended for your MBP. The 1 TB drive you have is thicker (12.5 mm) than what Apple uses in their notebook computers. The drive should be no thicker than 9.5 mm to allow for proper cooling.
QUOTE Thanks
Butah P.

I'll definitely give this a try. I know the drive's bigger than what was original was, but it was the only 1TB I could find in my price range. Thanks!

A few harmless snow flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

If the PRAM reset doesn't work, post back and we'll try something else.
QUOTE Thanks
Butah P.

Will do, thanks for the direction chscag!

QUOTE Thanks
Butah P.

Did the PRAM reset and it doesn't seem to have had any effect (followed directions to the letter). Any other ideas?

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

The drive may be fragmented with scattered free space. You can give iDefrag a try if you like. It's $29.95 but they also have a demo version you can use to find out if the drive is fragmented.
QUOTE Thanks
Butah P.

Tried iDefrag, showed a really nominal about of fragmentation.

Any other ideas before I format and reinstall?*

*Side note: I've never done a format and fresh install on a Mac. Any decent idiot proof directions that I can use to do this?

QUOTE Thanks
techo91

techo91 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram

the way I see it, the only practical and logical solution for your problem is to just format the drive, do a clean install and solve the problem, it's that simple. No other idea is needed.
QUOTE Thanks
Butah P.

I know it needs to be done, but I can't do all that right now due to needing the Windows partition for work. I was just looking to see if there was anything I could do in the interim.

Would formatting, fresh install of OS X then restoring from a back up be the best route or should I just format and restore the back up?

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

The problem with formatting and reinstalling is that it may render the Windows partition unusable which is why I was trying to steer you around that.

Since iDefrag proved that the drive is not fragmented, there's no sense in purchasing it. So we can put that aside.

My next suggestion is to take a look at using WinClone to image and backup your Windows partition before formatting and reinstalling. The only caveat here is that WinClone is unstable and may not work right. It's also no longer being developed. However, lots of folks have used it successfully, so I'll leave that decision up to you.
QUOTE Thanks
Butah P.

I actually backed up my Windows partition on my old drive using Winclone and it worked great. I'm using that image on my MBP now with no issues whatsoever.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK, great. You're familiar with WinClone which is good. Just wanted to give you the standard warning about using it though. Let us know how things turn out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« find command won't list keynote files | Partitioning Harddrive »