New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Desktop GONE

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jordz

jordz is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I have a Mac OS X 10.4.11

I was just cleaning out the desktop, deleting unnecessary files etc. when I noticed the Preview application wouldn't let me view any files I opened with it...

I thought I might have accidentally deleted the Preview app so I went into the trash to see if I had, I couldn't find anything, so I thought I would restore ALL of my trash to the desktop, to see if the Preview actually had been deleted.. Anyway my computer froze up (as one might expect when attempting to restore some 1500 files and apps from the trash). So, being the smart cookie I am, I turned the computer off (without shutting down), then when I went to turn it back on... EVERYTHING from the desktop was gone! I can't find anything under Spotlight, Finder won't open. All of the apps on the dock work fine... Except I can't get into the Trash or the Finder.

Please, any assistance with this would be very much appreciated. My entire life is on this computer.

Kindest regards,,
QUOTE Thanks
jordz

Again, not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I have a Mac OS X 10.4.11

I was just cleaning out the desktop, deleting unnecessary files etc. when I noticed the Preview application wouldn't let me view any files I opened with it...

I thought I might have accidentally deleted the Preview app so I went into the trash to see if I had, I couldn't find anything, so I thought I would restore ALL of my trash to the desktop, to see if the Preview actually had been deleted.. Anyway my computer froze up (as one might expect when attempting to restore some 1500 files and apps from the trash). So, being the smart cookie I am, I turned the computer off (without shutting down), then when I went to turn it back on... EVERYTHING from the desktop was gone! I can't find anything under Spotlight, Finder won't open. All of the apps on the dock work fine... Except I can't get into the Trash or the Finder.

Please, any assistance with this would be very much appreciated. My entire life is on this computer.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordz View Post
Finder won't open. All of the apps on the dock work fine... Except I can't get into ... the Finder.
Please explain how you can see the Dock without Finder open, or a Desktop, as your title declares.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Do you know what "cross-posting" is? You've done it, in violation of the forum's rules.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Merged threads...no need to crosspost. Thanks.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jordz

tomacsh,

No, I clearly was not aware that "cross-posting" was 'illegal' on this site. Or else I wouldn't have done it.

In response to your other comment, yes my title does say "Desktop gone", which was an abbreviated form of my problem which is that: everything on my desktop is gone. Forgive me for not speaking in perfect sentences, but I am a tad flustered right now. Besides, titles are supposed to be brief.

... If your idea of 'helping someone', is to complain about everything they're doing wrong, then would you mind doing that somewhere else? I'm a new member, and am obviously not familiar with the rules and regulations of this site yet. Give me a break.
QUOTE Thanks
jordz

If anyone is able to help me with my problem that would be greatly appreciated. I have managed to open Finder, via Spotlight (which is working now). However, Finder has pretty much frozen, and anything I try to do, just responds with the rainbow wheel!

It looks as though EVERYTHING from my Trash is now on the Desktop (in Finder only, not the actual Desktop, that's still empty). Could the reason why Finder is not opening be due to the fact that the Desktop has too much stuff on it? If so, how would I delete everything from the Desktop (again, this is the Desktop items list in Finder, not the actual Desktop).
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

How full is your hard drive (how many gig's used & how many gigs free)?

If it's VERY full...this could explain things.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
jordz

I'm not sure how to find this out? Do I go to the apple icon and click 'About this mac'?
QUOTE Thanks
jordz

If I click the apple --> about this mac --> more info --> under contents --> hardware --> memory.. the following things come up

BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 512 MB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 667 MHz

BANK 1/DIMM1:

Size: 512 MB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 667 MHz

I am so confused!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordz View Post
I am so confused!
Yes you are!

"Memory" is ram...storage space deals with your hard drive. Single-click on your hard drive icon...then do the 2 key keyboard combination Command + i

In case you don't know...the "command" key is the one with the 4-leaf clover looking symbol on it.

A window will open...and this will give you the hard drive info we're looking for (gigs used & gigs free).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Since you can't open up Finder, open up System Profiler ( > About This Mac > More Info...) > Hardware > Serial-ATA. What does it say under "Volumes"?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
jordz

Eekk sorry I am not computer minded at all!

I just tried what you said, except a new window doesn't open... The rainbow wheel just spins for a while then stops spinning, and nothing else happens
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Since you can't open up Finder, open up System Profiler ( > About This Mac > More Info...) > Hardware > Serial-ATA. What does it say under "Volumes"?
Yeah...I wasn't 100% sure what can & can't be done at this point...so great idea!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
jordz

To vansmith:

This is what it says:

Volumes:
232210.:
Capacity: 148.73 GB
Available: 101.17 GB
Writable: Yes