New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Talktalk Mail receiving but not sending

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz is on a distinguished road

Hi all, I am a brand new user of a MacBook Air.

I have successfully set up my TalkTalk mail account in Mail so that I can send and receive at home when connected to my TalkTalk wireless account.

Trouble is when out and about and connecting to a hotel wireless account I can receive but not send messages.

Can any one help? I have searched through previous threads but cannot find anything to help this specific problem.

I would like to keep this the TalkTalk email address if possible.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

It could be something to do with the hotel wireless firewall. Can you use it at other places?

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Rzzzzz

Hi Simon, Thanks for replying.

This hotel is the only place away from home that I have tried logging onto so far. It is an unsecured wireless network. I will give it a go somewhere else.

However I can log on at this hotel on my business laptop successfully even though that does require me to go through a Virtual Private Network for security purposes.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Rzzzzz

All,

I am still having trouble with this. I am at my sister's on her wireless network. Again I can receive emails but not send.

On my work laptop I can send and receive. There has to be something wrong with my settings.... anyone have a clue?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Setting up the mail program is fairly basic.

But only you can check your settings. Make sure that you have the POP3 and SMPT addresses entered as was given to you by your ISP (TalkTalk). Also check to see the outgoing mail option has your correct Userid and Password listed and that it has been saved.
QUOTE Thanks
Rzzzzz

I have checked the settings and the thing I can see is that the account type is POP and not POP3 does that make a difference? And what I can't figure is why it works at home and not anywhere else?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trash Basket | disable thumbnail video play »