New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS won't load - MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrben2k8

mrben2k8 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53GHz, 4GB, 500GB, nVidia GT330m. iPhone 4S 16GB

Hi guys,

Hope you can shed some light on this for me and maybe point me in the direction of fixing this...

My old MBP (15.4" 2.4GHz Intel Duo, 2GB RAM, 200GB, 8600M GT), has a few issues;

- The SuperDrive doesn't work, spins up the disc, then shoots it out.
- The OS no longer loads. It gets to the first screen with the Apple logo and the spinning thing and just hangs there, its been there for about an hour.

I have used a USB hard disc to reinstall a fresh copy of OSx Leopard, (Tried Snow Leopard, but it wouldn't finish the installation, couldn't copy support files apparenty).

It all worked fine, the installtion was successful from what I can see, and then it gets back to the first screen and is now hanging again.

I have XP on Bootcamp which works perfectly.

Can anyone suggest what is at fault?

I want to get it fixed so I can sell it to plug the void in my wallet left from my new MBP...

Many thanks,

Ben

mr.Ben
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Could be the HDD inside is failing on you from the sounds of it. Can you get another HDD in there to test it out? Even if it is a small cheap one just to test it.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
mrben2k8

Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53GHz, 4GB, 500GB, nVidia GT330m. iPhone 4S 16GB

Are they easy to replace?

Not too confident about opening one up.

mr.Ben
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrben2k8 View Post

- The SuperDrive doesn't work, spins up the disc, then shoots it out.
* What OS disk are you trying to do the OS install with (color of disk, which OS version)?

* Do you know for sure that the Superdrive works (can read DVD discs)?

* Are you sure this OS install disk is in good shape (no scratches, dirt, etc.) on it?

* Why did you need to reinstall the Mac OS in the first place?

Quote:
I have XP on Bootcamp which works perfectly.
Are you saying that "currently"...you can boot your MacBook Pro into Windows (via Bootcamp) if you wanted to?

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mrben2k8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
* What OS disk are you trying to do the OS install with (color of disk, which OS version)?
OSx Leopard 10.5 (Purple)

Quote:
* Do you know for sure that the Superdrive works (can read DVD discs)?
SuperDrive died ages ago, way before this started happening. I am attempting the fresh install from a boot disc made onto a USB drive.

Quote:
* Are you sure this OS install disk is in good shape (no scratches, dirt, etc.) on it?
Disc is clean, no scratches etc.

Quote:
* Why did you need to reinstall the Mac OS in the first place?
As it wasn't loading properly I guessed that the OS had corrupted and would be healed with a fresh install

Quote:
Are you saying that "currently"...you can boot your MacBook Pro into Windows (via Bootcamp) if you wanted to?
Correct, XP loads fine and works 100%.

Any thoughts?

Ben

mr.Ben
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Any thoughts?
Thanks for the info on the Superdrive (not working)...that makes it simple...you cannot install from the DVD...unless you have access to an external DVD drive...or a 2nd Mac where you could try installing the OS via "Target Disk Mode".

I think that you said that you have a 2nd MacBook Pro...so you could try "Target Disk Mode"...assuming both MacBook Pros have compatible firewire ports. These links (below) should help:

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Transferring files between two computers using FireWire

Installing OS X via the Target Disk Mode | Tips and Tricks, Reviews - MacAmour - Your Mac Companion

Using FireWire Target Disk Mode to Install OS X on Macs without DVD Drives

Reinstalling Mac OS X without a DVD Drive - Target Disk Mode | Dan Taylor

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
mrben2k8

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the Superdrive (not working)...that makes it simple...you cannot install from the DVD...unless you have access to an external DVD drive...or a 2nd Mac where you could try installing the OS via "Target Disk Mode".

I think that you said that you have a 2nd MacBook Pro...so you could try "Target Disk Mode"...assuming both MacBook Pros have compatible firewire ports. These links (below) should help:

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Transferring files between two computers using FireWire

Installing OS X via the Target Disk Mode | Tips and Tricks, Reviews - MacAmour - Your Mac Companion

Using FireWire Target Disk Mode to Install OS X on Macs without DVD Drives

Reinstalling Mac OS X without a DVD Drive - Target Disk Mode | Dan Taylor

Good luck,

- Nick
Awesome. Cheers for your help Nick.

Much appreciated.

mr.Ben
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Awesome. Cheers for your help Nick.

Much appreciated.
Hey...don't get too excited...let's hope it works first!

i.e. You can run a firewire cable between the two MBP's (Apple keeps changing the ports, and you have the proper cable)...and the install works.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't type Capital letters | after mac software update - its flicking thur deskto apps andlost trackpad control »