Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    mrben2k8's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 10, 2008
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    69
    Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53GHz, 4GB, 500GB, nVidia GT330m. iPhone 4S 16GB
    OS won't load - MBP
    Hi guys,

    Hope you can shed some light on this for me and maybe point me in the direction of fixing this...

    My old MBP (15.4" 2.4GHz Intel Duo, 2GB RAM, 200GB, 8600M GT), has a few issues;

    - The SuperDrive doesn't work, spins up the disc, then shoots it out.
    - The OS no longer loads. It gets to the first screen with the Apple logo and the spinning thing and just hangs there, its been there for about an hour.

    I have used a USB hard disc to reinstall a fresh copy of OSx Leopard, (Tried Snow Leopard, but it wouldn't finish the installation, couldn't copy support files apparenty).

    It all worked fine, the installtion was successful from what I can see, and then it gets back to the first screen and is now hanging again.

    I have XP on Bootcamp which works perfectly.

    Can anyone suggest what is at fault?

    I want to get it fixed so I can sell it to plug the void in my wallet left from my new MBP...

    Many thanks,

    Ben
    mr.Ben

  2. #2

    Buzzard2010's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2010
    Location
    Bretforton, Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,571
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    Could be the HDD inside is failing on you from the sounds of it. Can you get another HDD in there to test it out? Even if it is a small cheap one just to test it.

    - Simon

    If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

  3. #3

    mrben2k8's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 10, 2008
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    69
    Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53GHz, 4GB, 500GB, nVidia GT330m. iPhone 4S 16GB
    Are they easy to replace?

    Not too confident about opening one up.
    mr.Ben

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,849
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mrben2k8 View Post

    - The SuperDrive doesn't work, spins up the disc, then shoots it out.
    * What OS disk are you trying to do the OS install with (color of disk, which OS version)?

    * Do you know for sure that the Superdrive works (can read DVD discs)?

    * Are you sure this OS install disk is in good shape (no scratches, dirt, etc.) on it?

    * Why did you need to reinstall the Mac OS in the first place?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrben2k8 View Post
    I have XP on Bootcamp which works perfectly.
    Are you saying that "currently"...you can boot your MacBook Pro into Windows (via Bootcamp) if you wanted to?

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5

    mrben2k8's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 10, 2008
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    69
    Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53GHz, 4GB, 500GB, nVidia GT330m. iPhone 4S 16GB
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    * What OS disk are you trying to do the OS install with (color of disk, which OS version)?
    OSx Leopard 10.5 (Purple)

    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    * Do you know for sure that the Superdrive works (can read DVD discs)?
    SuperDrive died ages ago, way before this started happening. I am attempting the fresh install from a boot disc made onto a USB drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    * Are you sure this OS install disk is in good shape (no scratches, dirt, etc.) on it?
    Disc is clean, no scratches etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    * Why did you need to reinstall the Mac OS in the first place?
    As it wasn't loading properly I guessed that the OS had corrupted and would be healed with a fresh install

    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Are you saying that "currently"...you can boot your MacBook Pro into Windows (via Bootcamp) if you wanted to?
    Correct, XP loads fine and works 100%.

    Any thoughts?

    Ben
    mr.Ben

  6. #6

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,849
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mrben2k8 View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks for the info on the Superdrive (not working)...that makes it simple...you cannot install from the DVD...unless you have access to an external DVD drive...or a 2nd Mac where you could try installing the OS via "Target Disk Mode".

    I think that you said that you have a 2nd MacBook Pro...so you could try "Target Disk Mode"...assuming both MacBook Pros have compatible firewire ports. These links (below) should help:

    How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

    Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Transferring files between two computers using FireWire

    Installing OS X via the Target Disk Mode | Tips and Tricks, Reviews - MacAmour - Your Mac Companion

    Using FireWire Target Disk Mode to Install OS X on Macs without DVD Drives

    Reinstalling Mac OS X without a DVD Drive - Target Disk Mode | Dan Taylor

    Good luck,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7

    mrben2k8's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 10, 2008
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    69
    Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53GHz, 4GB, 500GB, nVidia GT330m. iPhone 4S 16GB
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Thanks for the info on the Superdrive (not working)...that makes it simple...you cannot install from the DVD...unless you have access to an external DVD drive...or a 2nd Mac where you could try installing the OS via "Target Disk Mode".

    I think that you said that you have a 2nd MacBook Pro...so you could try "Target Disk Mode"...assuming both MacBook Pros have compatible firewire ports. These links (below) should help:

    How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

    Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Transferring files between two computers using FireWire

    Installing OS X via the Target Disk Mode | Tips and Tricks, Reviews - MacAmour - Your Mac Companion

    Using FireWire Target Disk Mode to Install OS X on Macs without DVD Drives

    Reinstalling Mac OS X without a DVD Drive - Target Disk Mode | Dan Taylor

    Good luck,

    - Nick
    Awesome. Cheers for your help Nick.

    Much appreciated.
    mr.Ben

  8. #8

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,849
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mrben2k8 View Post
    Awesome. Cheers for your help Nick.

    Much appreciated.
    Hey...don't get too excited...let's hope it works first!

    i.e. You can run a firewire cable between the two MBP's (Apple keeps changing the ports, and you have the proper cable)...and the install works.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bootcamp won't load XP, but wants to load Windows 7...
    By Abisa in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-22-2011, 02:12 PM
  2. iMac G5 won't boot, won't load ext HDs
    By photokaty in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2009, 03:30 PM
  3. Won't load load video
    By wbnjr in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-26-2007, 03:53 PM
  4. Limewire Pro on MBP - Won't load?
    By quicksilver in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 07:11 AM
  5. Imac won't load OS
    By random in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2004, 04:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •