New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

need to update operating system

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

c.t.

c.t. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4: Mac OSX 10.4.11:1.33 GHz PowerPC G4

i have os x 10.4.1 tiger. need an operating system update. was told i could update right to snow leopard. i guess u need an intel processor and i have a power pc processor. with this type of processor how do i update my system?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

You can not update to SL if you have a PPC.
The highest you can go is Leopard and those discs are not easy to come by. Try eBay, but be sure you get a Black retail disc and not a Grey disc. Grey are machine specific.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
c.t.

c.t. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4: Mac OSX 10.4.11:1.33 GHz PowerPC G4

great thank u. is it possible to change a processor from ppc to intel?
QUOTE Thanks
iHarrison

iHarrison can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t. View Post
is it possible to change a processor from ppc to intel?
Alas no. Due to the processor architecture being completely different, the main PCB (called the Logic Board on older Macs & more generally known as the Mother Board in newer Intel-based Macs) has to "talk" to it in a completely different way - there is no (& never will be an) Intel processor that is compatible with a PPC-based computer.

The only way to "change" is just to buy a whole new computer!

Well, you could gut-out the old case & rebuild the innards with newer hardware; but that itself would be a new computer, just with three times the cost & a hundred times the effort going into getting it!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best Anti-bot, spyware program | Add Server Tools? »