New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

"installer not responding" issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mufngruf

mufngruf is on a distinguished road

well here's another fine mess...

more and more frequently, when I go to install an application, the Installer app kicks into gear and walks me through the steps to install (where and for which users) and then it gets to the "Type your password" screen.
At this point (I have discovered) if I move the mouse off the "password" window and back over the "Installer" window, even without clicking it, I get the spinning colour wheel. If i continue to move the mouse completely off these two windows and just hover it over the desktop, the wheel goes away.
If I type in my authorisation password, the Installer "freezes" and had to be "force quit" - which takes a few minutes.
So far, I have run fsck, and applejack and onyx. I have started in "safe" mode and I still have the same issue after each of these "fixes".
I have one hard drive in this iMac (24" 2.66Ghz, 4GB ram Intel) and it's divided into two separate drives, both running the latest Snow leopard.
If I reboot into the other drive, the installer works fine.

Could this be something as simple as a corrupted prefs/plist file that I can discard and replace or is it more complicated than that?

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufngruf View Post
well here's another fine mess...

more and more frequently, when I go to install an application, the Installer app kicks into gear and walks me through the steps to install (where and for which users) and then it gets to the "Type your password" screen.
At this point (I have discovered) if I move the mouse off the "password" window and back over the "Installer" window, even without clicking it, I get the spinning colour wheel. If i continue to move the mouse completely off these two windows and just hover it over the desktop, the wheel goes away.
If I type in my authorisation password, the Installer "freezes" and had to be "force quit" - which takes a few minutes.
So far, I have run fsck, and applejack and onyx. I have started in "safe" mode and I still have the same issue after each of these "fixes".
I have one hard drive in this iMac (24" 2.66Ghz, 4GB ram Intel) and it's divided into two separate drives, both running the latest Snow leopard.
If I reboot into the other drive, the installer works fine.

Could this be something as simple as a corrupted prefs/plist file that I can discard and replace or is it more complicated than that?

Any ideas?
It may well be a simply matter of a corrupt prefs file, though I'm hard pressed to think of which exact .pref file it could be. The simplest thing to do to help prove this is to try creating a new user account and log into that. If the installer does not freeze while under that user account, then the problem most certainly lays somewhere with your usual user account.

If you are able to successfully use your new user account just fine, then I would start back with the regular user account, make a backup copy of the Preferences folder from your user's Library, then delete the Preferences folder and log out/in. This will reset ALL of your preferences for everything (including Safari bookmarks, for example, so be sure you made your backup!!), but no sweat just yet. Try an installer. If it now works, then we know the problem lays in the Preferences and the hard part is narrowing it down. It could well be a hidden one… there's no easy way to tell short of trial and error. I had a really odd issue once with a widget that was acting up, and I eventually traced it to a hidden .pref file that had absolutely nothing to do with that widget or the app it was tied to.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
mufngruf

Thanks but isn't that the creation of a new user account effectively the same as booting in safe mode?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufngruf View Post
Thanks but isn't that the creation of a new user account effectively the same as booting in safe mode?
Nope.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
mufngruf

Okeydokey - so I opened up System Prefs and went to add a new user account. Then, of course, to unlock the prefs, I had to "type my password to allow system preferences to make changes.
and I did
and it froze "System preferences not responding" message and so I had to do another force quit.

what next?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
what next?
Try a reinstall of Snow Leopard on the partition that's giving you problems. Reinstalling Snow Leopard does not destroy data nor remove or change applications. It does, however, overwrite system files. If the reinstall goes well and the problem is gone, run software update to upgrade Snow Leopard to the latest version.

Of course it's recommended that you do a Time Machine backup prior to the reinstall.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Agreed with chscag. Perhaps you had a major update that didn't "quite" install correctly, leading to some files getting corrupt. Another distinct concern though is perhaps some critical system files are corrupt because your hard drive is failing and they are in the bad area. I would consider making sure you have backed up anything important, then look into testing the hard drive more throughly.

------
------
------
QUOTE Thanks
mufngruf

Thanks folks - I decided to let techtool 5 run overnight and also defragged the livin' daylights outta the drive.
That seems to have fixed it - for the moment.
But I DO think I'll follow your advice and reinstall Snow anyway (after a TM backup).
How does that work - I've never re-installed before, I've always just done a clean install whenever I get a new drive... do I choose the "archive" thingy?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Snow Leopard does not have an archive and install feature so you can't choose that. Just boot with the SL DVD and install the OS. As I mentioned, reinstalling Snow Leopard does not remove or overwrite any of your applications, data, or documents. It only replaces the system files that make up Snow Leopard. After reinstalling, run software update to bring SL back up to 10.6.7.
QUOTE Thanks
mufngruf

t'riffic thanks muchly..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« won't recognize usb drive (OS 10.6.7) | Best Anti-bot, spyware program »